Monday, July 10, 2017

heading for home plate!


(subtitle: taking time to meet Hemingway)

When I left to cruise on home,
I took a leisurely drive up the A1A,
enjoying the proximity to the ocean
for as long as possible.
When Marineland came into view,
I stopped to check it out.
After all, it's been years since
I was last there... and I wanted
to prolong my vacation mode just a bit...
Neptune, the Roman god of the seas -
or perhaps this was the Greek god, Jupiter -
invited me to take a selfie with him.
You bet I did!
See those rippling muscles and lovely beard
and barely-draped, nearly-nude body?
You bet I did!
(smile)

Besides, I had some time on my hands
to explore the new layout before
my turn at touching and feeding
a dolphin.
This reef ball was a reminder that one
future day I'll be 'swimming with the fishes'
in as much as my ashes will be included
in just such a structure, by Eternal Reefs.

'Swimming with the fishes' was
certainly an option for my visit today,
though they call it "Dolphin Immersion" -
and dolphins are mammals, like us, not fish.
(smile)
I opted for the "Touch and Feed" -
reasonably priced to allow the kid in me to play
without sticker shock to the adult me.


Worth every penny! I would have gladly paid twice that fee!
I haven't stopped smiling like a five-year-old since I touched that sleek ocean beast!
Here I am, trying to be patiently listening as my group was given instructions, nearly bouncing up and down with excitement!
The dolphin awaiting belly rubs and fluke holdings was Hemingway, a 34-year-old male who was born on these premises.
That was him in the above photo, too, laughing as he swam past us after the session.
What a charmer he was!
I so look forward to seeing the photos again!
Marineland had professionals snapping pictures during the whole encounter and I have the option of downloading some later - for a small fee, from a site aptly named 'smileflingr' - to relive my adventure over and over!

After my experience was done,
I stayed for another two hours,
trying to espy, with my little eye,
the continued frolics of the dolphins.
As I finally headed back toward my car
and the main building, I paused to
admire the ocean and take a selfie.
That butterfly bag certainly adds
a tropical splash of color to the coral!

I made two stops on the way home.
The first was at The Seafood Kitchen
in St. Augustine for a shrimp Po' Boy.
The waitress recommended it and she was spot on!
My second stop was at Dave & Buster's, as cats and dogs were tumbling out of the clouds.
I tarried for an hour and came out to find
the rainstorm was past. Homeward bound again!


Just before nine PM, the richly-hued sunset demanded to be captured - and so it was!
Is it just me, or do you see the dolphins playing in the blue sky?
Now, I'm home and must tell the bfe about my adventure as a dolphin trainer -
so good to have him staying at my house to share my stories with!
i thank You, God!

No comments: