Friday, July 21, 2017

happy 81st, Bev!


"Her birthday was actually on Monday, the 17th, you know."

Of course I know that! It's even on my calendar. Bev Lockamy, July 17, b'day 81.

"So why are you talking about it now, like it just happened?"

Let me tell you! Today was the day I joined Bev and my outlaw Bunny for their near-weekly mother-daughter luncheon. When I had actually telephoned Bev to wish her happy birthday, she had mentioned the lunch date and I had finagled an invitation.
No, scratch that.
I had outright asked if I could join them.
I had started out by asking Bev if she would like to go to lunch with me on the Thursday or Friday and she had told me she and Bunny were getting together on Friday.
That's the point at which I had asked if it would be okay for me to tag along.
After all, I haven't seen either of them for quite a while.

"I thought you would see Bunny at Dawn's parties?"

Yeah, I used to. But I haven't seen her out there in Georgetown since...well, since the brunch last August. She missed the BYOP party in October, as well as the soup festivities in January. I know Dawn had something going on at Easter, but I was in Augusta for that holiday.

"And you weren't able to have the December family gathering this year..."

Exactly.
Except for fb sightings, I haven't been right there in her presence for almost a year...
No... wait... that is not correct.
I had seen both of them after Jean Marie's death in late April. They had both come to my house that Friday, to give me hugs and offer their love. Then I had seen Bunny at the visitation later that day, as well as at the funeral that last Saturday, dining afterward with her and my niece Emily and my nephew Jason and my ex.

"Very sad times those were."

Yes, yes indeed.
Sigh.

"And today...?"

Today was magnificent!
Here is my outlaw Bunny,
with her flounder lunch
at the Carey Hilliard's
down the street from me
.
How very nice to have been there
for a happy occasion this time!
What fun we had catching up!

And here is the birthday girl,
Bev, right beside her daughter.
Bev was having the same thing I did:
chilled shrimp salad,
and plenty of it!
I noticed her hearing is fading -
then again, her ears are 81 years old!
(smile)

As they had been good enough to allow me to crash their party, I let it be my treat.
Hey, that was the least I could do, right?
(Plus, I was using money Smitty gave me from working with him last week.)
Good times for all!

i thank You, God!

Now, I'm home from the cemetery, visiting with family.

First up, of course,
was Mama and Frank and George.
I put out some fresh
"permanent" hydrangeas
for summer charm...

Then I swung over to
mile marker 18
to visit my niece...
so nice to see fresh flowers
from those who miss her...

On my way out
through Forest Lawn,
I paused for
David Johnson's resting place
near the road's edge.
Next time, I'll try to
remember flowers for him, too.
I sent photos to Christina
and to Michael,
to show I care...
because I do.

"Obviously, my dear.
What a blessed afternoon you have had...
and you'll have music at the Lucas tonight!
Have fun!
"

Oh, you know I will!
(smile!)

No comments: