Saturday, July 1, 2017

preemptive rainbow



Las tres amigas were dodging raindrops along Jefferson Street when we saw it: this rainbow arcing from north to south over the downtown area to the east.
I would have had to move over a block to catch all of it in my camera eye.
Quite lovely... and such an odd coincidence.
We were passing through this little summer storm on our way to "The Tempest"... and we were given a rainbow.
i thank You, God.

How fared the show presented by Savannah Shakes?
Well, the innovative troupe took the Shakespeare into the 1970's, for starters.
The sprite Ariel was a glam-rock spirit, more gay than comic, trying to win his freedom from the warped Prospero (female, the Duchess of Milan in this incarnation).
The monster Calaban, the deformed son of a deposed witch, is portrayed as a black man, also trying to win his freedom from the slavery imposed upon him by Prospero.
The king's butler and jester, Stephano and Trinculo, respectively, appear as buffoons patterned after the Blues Brothers and the Three Stooges. Nice comic relief!
I had honestly not recalled much of this play. I think I may have once seen the movie, but that would have been more than thirty years ago.
I mostly went for the music of David Bowie.
I had prepared for the venture by listening to CHANGESONEBOWIE yesterday. I have the album on cassette - which had prompted the bfe to ask "what's this?" when he had seen it on the table.
Yes, my physicist, I still have tapes of favorite music.
(smile)
What's my favorite song of the compilation?
That's the very last tune -
"John, I'm Only Dancing" -
which other one would it be?
(smile)

No comments: