Tuesday, July 5, 2022

benny the jet, for me!

I am soooo happy!
Today's Tina Tuesday reward from comcast?
"The Sandlot"!!!
That's one of my favorite baseball movies!
I already have "A League Of Their Own" as an Xfinity gift that I can watch On Demand as often as I like...
and now I have this bunch of kids!!!
The movie is from 1993, so you'd think I'd recognize some of these young ballplayers as the adult actors they became in the intervening 29 years...
but, I don't.
I know Karen Allen, who played the mom of the 4th-grade kid who was new to the area and had never even thrown a baseball before.
I knew Denis Leary, who played the boy's ever-busy stepdad and whose prized possession was a baseball signed by the King of Clout, the Sultan of Swing, the Great Bambino...
Babe Ruth...
who the boy thought was "some lady".
I knew James Earl Jones, who played the old man who owned the junk yard with the tall fence, over which baseballs went and never returned, thanks to "The Beast".
But I didn't know any of the kids, not even Benny, the oldest of the nine ballplayers and the only one who lived for the game of baseball...
and the only one who took the new kid under his wing, not only teaching him to catch and throw and hit, but also supplying him with a bona fide glove and ballcap.
What a great movie!
I'm going to enjoy watching this multiple times!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

When I watched this on Wednesday morning with my breakfast, I realized what the theme must be for this "Summer Of Movies": the 4th of July!
"Independence Day" takes place on that day...
"The Sandlot" has a fabulous night game played at their roughly diamond-shaped field, under the light of the fireworks on that day of the year...
so that makes me wonder:
what other movies take place on July 4th???
I look forward to finding out!