Saturday, July 2, 2022

con amigas, para teatro!

It's been a couple of years since me and mi tres amigas took in some live theatre.
That drought ended this afternoon!
Sure, Barbara and I have been to two school productions for her students - the one about insomnia, and the other about immigrants.
But that's just been me and her.
This time, Sandy joined us, as well as Brenda, my old classmate from high school!
And what was it that drew us together?
"The Spitfire Grill".
I had been quite taken with this musical back in 2018 when I first saw it.
The Armstrong Masquers had performed it beautifully, with its tale of a 23-year-old convict newly released from prison who has chosen the small town of Gilead as the place to serve out her parole.
The small town gets absolutely a-buzz with gossip about this newcomer!
Gilead is a place that people leave, not a place where people go, especially since the quarry closed down and jobs became scarce.
But she had been drawn there by a photograph in a travel book, showing "The Colors of Paradise" in the trees by a small river there in Gilead.
And, even though she has a rough time in the beginning, she eventually manages to have to townsfolk viewing through her eyes... and falling in love with Gilead again.
The talented regulars with Savannah Repertory Theatre - Jenn Bishop, Ryan McCurdy, Sandra Karas, Chris Stanley - did very well, but the true star, with an amazing voice, was the one who played the parolee.
Kudos to Dani Vazquez for bringing such heart to her role as Percy!
I know we four are looking forward to more from her!
I took a moment afterward to check on my seats.
Yes, they were still there!
Seats C112 and C113 still bore the plaques marking them as Mama's and mine! 
Magnificent!
After the 2 PM matinee, we all went out to dine... wow, what a great treat!
I had hoped we would when I'd sent the SavRepTh email to Barbara, but knew we'd have to see how crowded places might be on this 4th of July weekend.
Fortunately for us, the Jenkins Hall had not even been half full.
Chances were good the eateries in our area would be good at 4:30 PM!
Sure enough, it came down to me to decide where to go.
After several rejects, I found a winner: Carey Hilliard's!
But, of course!
We four were all locals and that place has been local all our lives!
Perfect!
And we had a lovely, leisurely meal together, too.
Perfect!
(smile!)

2 comments:

faustina said...

Oh, by the way, Carolyn was supposed to join us.
Sadly, she'd gotten soaking wet on Friday night, then still sat in an icy screening room for a new movie.
Of course her always-present bronchitis turned from its low embers into full force blazing fire.
I do hope she'll be able to join us the next time!

faustina said...

So...
Carolyn actually has COVID...
again/still/whatever...
along with her bronchitis.
Barbara had COVID, too, though she insists it was "a cold".
She didn't even have a COVID test until FIVE DAYS AFTER she had symptoms.
I guess she wanted to keep plausible deniability.
According to her, the symptoms began after our group went to the play and dinner.
She didn't bother to tell anyone until yesterday, after she had tested and it was negative.
I asked if she'd checked on Sandy and Brenda, to make sure they were okay.
I'm surprised she hadn't thought of that herself.
Lordy, lordy.