Sunday, July 31, 2022

lazing on a Sunday afternoon at the Jepson!

I usually spend an afternoon at the museum for my birthday, but, as you know, my health situation, and dizziness bouts, precluded my doing so.
Subsequent weekends were usually out of the running because others had requested my presence at their events, or I had COVID, or I was out of town.
I had promised myself early in the week that this Sunday, the final Sunday of July, would be spent at the Jepson, no matter what!
Not even the email from Christa for me, Sandy, and Barbara to join her at the Lucas Theatre for "GWTW" could sway my resolve!
Nope!
To the Jepson I would go!
However, I would definitely join them, and Carolyn, for dinner downtown!
(smile!)
'Katniss' greeted me before I even walked in... lovely!
I do so hope the mobile display will remain for years!
The mural at the top of the marble stairs has been gone since the first year, but these colorful representations of that marsh scene still gladden my heart.
(smile!)
I started at the top, knowing the newest art would be on that third floor.
The first door I entered had part of the works from this year's PULSE exhibit.
Specifically, "Beyond: Chul-Hyu Ahn & Light, Color, and Illusion" greeted me there.
Talk about bright!
 
His work with mirrors and LED lights was not something I'd want at home, though he did have one piece which fascinated me.
This "Railroad (Curve To The Left)" looked so real!
I found myself studying it from different angles, trying to discover any mirrors that might account for its three-dimensional appearance...
nope, no mirrors were visible.
It truly did seem to go off into the distance, begging me to walk alongside it on the gravel bed.
But the frame kept it all in that one small room.
It didn't extend onto the terrace beyond the wall.
I actually looked to determine if it did.
Wow.
(smile!)
What I did find in the hall was this fun piece!
As I'm always on the alert for dancing figurines, this statue certainly caught my eye!
Then its title made me laugh out loud!
It's a "Song And Dance Man"...
Man...
specifically...
complete with a dangly bit between his legs!
Hahahaha! Hahaha!
Thanks, Elaine Grove, for the joke!
That made it absolutely appropriate for my visit to the art of a sea-faring man at the end of the hall!
William O. Golding, a Savannah native, spent much of his life in the company of three-masted whaling ships, looking at barks, brigantines, schooners, and yachts, as well as steam tugs, paddlewheel steamers, warships, and steam yachts, drawing more than 200 pictures of them using only pencil and crayons.
These two were done in 1933 and 1935, respectively, and both are of Cape Horn.
Now, here's the proof the man had a sense of humor.
In both, he has prominently included a building labeled as the 'Post Office'... but no such structure exists there!
It was all part of the myth for sailors that each port might have letters awaiting them, a myth of false hope.
Hahahaha!
Very clever of him to acknowledge it!
My next stop was right across the hall and occupied every bit of that wall on the third floor.
"BLOW UP" consisted of inflatable works from several artists.
Susan Lee-Chun certainly tickled my funny bone with these giant pink birds!
Miyah very much enjoyed that I sent the photo to her of "Flamingos (only hang by the pool)...
and that I thought of her!
I took several photos, from different angles, but I like this one best.
It has my butterfly tote to mark my presence!
That bag has always been my stand-in during my adventures, ever since the Italian trip in 2012 with the nursing students.
(smile!)
There were at least eight artists whose work was displayed, but only one other caused me to snap its photo.
Nicole Banowetz's sea slug looks like some otherworldly creature, with its purple and gold and bright green.
No, no, no, not so fast there, missy!
That green belongs to the still-alive algae that it ate and that it keeps performing for its sluggy energy uses!
That thievery is why the beast is referred to as a kleptoplast -
true story!
Down to the second floor!
Hey, I couldn't see slugs and not visit these Roswell denizens, could I?
Then over to all the PULSE offerings for this year.
Sadly, 'SWARM' is gone, but there were several new interactive works.
This one was very popular with museum-goers - it's a game!
If you look closely, you can see the outlines of two pairs of hands from the two people playing with it.
The object is to sweep clear all the little pointy coronavirus balls at each level, with the number increasing as you advance.
Hey, I don't know for sure that those are meant to look like SARS-CoV-2, but that's what sprang to my mind!
Next time, I'll read the plaque and see if I'm correct.
(smile!

After a visit to the loo, I hit the hall for two exhibits in the #art912 realm.
The nearest portion was titled "Deconstruction" and had several pieces from the museum's collection, including Rev. Howard Finster's one with the ant.
This pointelle style, though, dragged out my camera.
Honestly, if I had checked the title of the piece, I would have done so before my third viewing.
Can you guess why?
Hint: America's favorite summer pastime is portrayed!
(smile!)
"Convergence" was not only the title ascribed to the other portion of this exhibit of local works in the front hall.
That was also what Lisa Watson named this photograph.
And guess what?
I know this spaghetti-noodle snarl of highways!
I admit I've never seen it so devoid of traffic, but that's most likely because I haven't been there at dawn, like she was.
This was taken in Atlanta, at the junction of I-85, I-285, and I-75.
From this perspective, it's rather nice, isn't it?
One thing for sure: it makes me want to travel more.
That doesn't mean I want to drive on crowded interstates...
I just want to 'wake up somewhere different'.
Yeah, I definitely need to plan a trip for just me.
Right now, I've traveled south to Orleans Square.
That's because it was closing time at the museum, and I did't have to go home, but I couldn't stay there.
There's a song about that somewhere.
(smile!)
I've been waiting here for an hour, waiting in the summer heat.
i thank You, God, for the shade of these gorgeous oaks and the light breeze that kicks a little spray from the fountain in my direction now and then.
I've sent messages to Carolyn and Barbara and hope to hear back from them soon.
What a blessed day this has been!
(smile!)

No comments: