Sunday, October 23, 2022

35th BYOP for the Jenkins!

I'm not saying I've been going for over three decades, I'm just saying that Robin and Harry have been holding these pumpkin-carving fests for that long.
Amazing!!!

This is most definitely a family affair, with everyone pretty well knowing everyone else.
Here we all are - that's me, far left, standing, in that fuchsia sweater I've had for years.
My brother Smitty is right beside me, with Mary trying to hide behind him.
The Jenkins' daughters, Brandi and Shelley, are there, of course, as well as lots of folks from this neighborhood that grew up together.
That's pretty nice!
And just how many kids are there this year?
25
And how many pumpkins?
29
I think that's got to be a record for their BYOPs!

As always, there was plenty of food!
Almost everyone had brought a dish to share, naturally.
I had bean salad, Smitty had smoked wings, and Mary made 
orange Rice Krispies Treats!
Harry grilled hotdogs and made his famous chili - not too hot, 
and great on the hotdogs.
I saw Smitty do that so I made sure to follow his lead.
Oh, yeah!
This shed has really worked well as a gathering site for everyone 
to mingle and hobnob while they fix plates loaded with goodies!
Then, out in the yard were at least seven tables for folks to sit 
and socialize once the carving was all done and the pumpkin 
innards had been taken away.
 
I think their chickens are getting the seeds - that will be a treat for them, too!
I made sure I mingled and hobnobbed, too.
Visits were made to every table of carvers, with interest expressed at those busy hands and earnest faces... especially for the kids!
My favorite pumpkins were this one with the prominent, bright white, buckteeth and its cousin.
They reminded me of the time I dressed as a buck-toothed vampire for one of the Halloween parties at Monica's A-frame. 
Definitely good times!
My favorite yard decoration in years past has been the vulture skeleton, usually out on the hay bales with the pumpkins.
I had to ask Robin where it was hiding this year...
and it was up in a tree!
No wonder I missed it.
(smile!)
But I sure didn't miss this guy!
I called him "Rest In Pieces" and Robin had a good laugh about that pun!
Her grandson, Asher, was responsible for that masterpiece.
Remember him?
He's the one who was so into chemistry at their 2019 BYOP, even having me do demonstrations with all the science from SERMACS!
Good kid!
And now, I'm at Tony and Laura's, pet sitting with Dane and Frosty, as Tony goes on his first cruise.
Good for Laura for getting him out into the world!
(smile!)

2 comments:

faustina said...

Oh, hooray!!!
While looking for something else in this memory repository that I call a blog, I found...
a photo of me as a buck-toothed vampire!!!
Bwah ha ha!!!

https://hindsightvisionfromtheocean.blogspot.com/2021/05/good-times-good-times-october-1997.html

faustina said...

Here's the post from their BYOP back in 2017!

https://beachwalksoffaustina.blogspot.com/2017/10/why-did-chicken-avoid-pumpkin.html

I led off with talk of the vulture skeleton, and a joke.
Good times!