Saturday, October 8, 2022

raul julia and peter falk

The movies of late seem to be operating as time machines.
Yesterday, it was a step back to the 1950's via "Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile".
That was a bit of a surprise, but not the only one in store.
No, by far the thing that shook me most was the continuing transformation of Javier Bardem into Raul Julia.
That change first struck me with his role in "Being The Ricardos", earlier this year.
Javier wasn't portraying an assassin, but a lovable scamp with musical bones.
A kinder, gentler, character???
And that brought to mind Raul Julia, who I had so delighted in seeing on screen!
And now, in this latest movie crafted from children's books, Javier is again singing and dancing and making merry...
and the resemblance to Raul is very strong.
Perhaps age has something to do with it.
Not mine, theirs.
Raul died at 54; Javier is now 53.
I certainly enjoyed the crocodile movie much more because of memories of Raul Julia.
(smile!)
Then, tonight, it was off to the movies with Barbara and Carolyn...
and straight into a time machine bouncing between 1918 and 1933.
Okay, no problem, those Big D chairs kept me firmly in place in the present.
Well, physically they did.
But then Christian Bale started channeling Peter Falk...
the timbre of his voice...
the pattern of his speech...
the squint of his good left eye...
even the tilt of his head!
Of course, all of that was after Bale's character lost his right eye in battle.
Well, I say good for him for choosing Falk to emulate!
Of course, I don't know that he purposely did so, but that's how it worked out.
And I am so appreciative!
I don't normally see "serious" movies like "Amsterdam" in October, as I'm a bit more sensitive to such themes in this month (as well as in April).
However, I found this film utterly charming!
And Barbara and Carolyn get it, too.
When I said to them, as we were leaving, "How nice to see Peter Falk in a movie again!", they both laughed and heartily agreed!
And do I think their ages have something to do with the resemblance?
Well, Bale is in his late 40's now, the same age as Falk when "Columbo" was on television.
Falk was so charming in that show!
I even occasionally watch it now on ME TV on Sundays.
Good memories!
That makes two of my A*List films, too, and I'm only on the second day of this week.
So, what do I see next?
Those were the only two new ones out.
Do I watch "Pearl" again and travel back to 1918 and that pandemic in the World War I era?
Do I travel back to the 1950's scenes again in "Don't Worry Darling"?
How about bouncing aboard the "Bullet Train" once more, to see the White Death in his role of brutality, rather than as a bird-loving spy in "Amsterdam"?
Or do I venture out for more sky-watching with "Nope"?
Hmm...
I've always found clouds to be fascinating...
and those floating fluffs certainly are...
Hmm.
So many choices!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

Well, did I finally decide on my third movie for this week's A*List?
Yep!
"Nope" was the winner!
They finally had it at a matinee time so I didn't have to drive in the dark both ways to catch it.
Hooray!
I just got home from it... and loved seeing it for my 8th time!
I'm pretty sure that count is right, too.
But, if you want, just check back through my posts and let me know if my count is off.
Thanks!
(smile!)