Friday, October 14, 2022

slapfish again! plus iron family!

Earlier in the week, me and the tres amigas returned to Pooler, along with Sandy this time.
She had heard all about Slapfish and wanted to experience it for herself!
Yes, I said Sandy!
 
The one who almost always wants a hamburger!
So on Tina Tuesday, off we four went!
And I even tried something different at Slapfish... I did!
I had the Hawaiian Bowl, full of flavorful rice and grilled shrimp and pineapple, as well as excellent coleslaw.
Really good... but I missed the ceviche.
Just saying.
We all had different things, except Carolyn, who again had the fish and chips.
Maybe I'll try that next time!
 
And we ate after the movie this time.
That was different.
And just what movie had we seen?
Well, are you sitting down?
Seriously, go ahead and sit.
That's because we went to see the one I had so wanted to see last week.
We did!
And it was THEIR suggestion!!!
That's the amazing part!
I felt like this truly was a Tina Tuesday adventure!
And "The Good House" was fabulous, but not the rom-com promised in the previews.
No, it was so much more than that!
Sigourney Weaver is a real estate agent in a tiny upscale community, with two grown daughters who ride her case as if she were an errant teenager.
Kevin Kline is fabulous as the one-time boyfriend who has stayed true to himself, no matter what the town folk say about his lifestyle.
And, at the heart of the story, is finding out who your real friends are when your life wanders off its path.
Just be aware that it's much deeper than a rom-com and addresses alcoholism in a very real, and nonjudgmental, manner. 
So, that was our trip to Pooler.
Come today, off we go again, with travel north once more, but only as far as downtown.
We were sans Carolyn, as she had seen "The Iron Family" about four years ago, when the Savannah-based director had screened the Michigan-based film at a horse pasture.
Seriously.
I remember her asking me to come, but I had abstained for some reason.
I'm glad to have seen it now, at the end of its film festival circuit, polished up and fine.
Plus, there was a question and answer session afterward!
Cinema Savannah should do that more often!
The seats were nearly full, for the first time this year!
And just who was there for the Q&A?
Well, there was one familiar face to me: Patrick Longstreth!
That's him on the far right, in the plaid shirt.
I've known him for many years, ever since I backed his Tybee-based short film, "Hellyfish", on kickstarter.
It had taken three years for that reward dvd to make it to my house, but well worth it the wait!
I didn't ask any questions, but I did go up to him afterward and let him know that I was one of his backers in 2012 and still enjoyed that movie.
And guess what he told me?
That young woman on the panel, Jazmine Faries, was interested in writing a musical horror film based on that short!
Woohoo!!!
I made sure to let her know that I applauded her effort on the many plays she's written and look forward to seeing her works in the future... including that musical!
With her on the panel is her older brother, Chad Faries, who teaches at Savannah State University, and their mom.
Chad is the reason that her story has been told.
She was born with Down Syndrome and was 32 years old when Chad convinced Patrick to venture to Michigan with him, for the purpose of filming the sixth season of her play.
And just what does the play portray?
Her meeting Matthew McConaughey via her "fashion for celebrities" business and his subsequent courtship and marriage to her.
Each play had encapsulated an important step in their relationship.
For the one filmed in Iron River, Michigan, she was pregnant and had to break the news to her husband that the baby might be that of Mark Wahlberg.
Pretty serious stuff!
In fact, the content of the play is what prompted Patrick to make a feature film of her play-writing process, a documentary of her creative nature.
Now, four years after the start of the project, this screening at the Savannah Cultural Arts Center marked the end of the journey.
Good for Chad, for looking out for his little sister!
Good for Patrick, for presenting her creativity to the world!
Good for Tomasz, for bringing Patrick and the Faries to Savannah!
I am so glad I was there.
i thank You, God.

No comments: