Wednesday, October 5, 2022

one table at a time...

The entire reason I signed up for Wednesday Night Suppers is this: I wanted to get to know some of the people who share this church family with me.
Sure, I say it's all about "the meals that someone else cooks!"
And that's important, too, this sitting and breaking bread with others.
With... others.
And although many of those that come are part of the choir and tend to sit with others who are also part of the choir...
or to sit with others that they already know and came with...
I come solo and I deliberately take a chair in their midst.
How are they to know me, or I them, if I sit apart?
That's why it was disappointing to have come so late to the first meal.
I missed that opportunity to match a few faces to names.
Then, the next week, I had missed the meal altogether, waiting for meds to arrive.
But I was right on time last week!
I selected a table for six, that had four diners already.
Good choice!
And Rev. Billy took that empty seat when he came later.
(smile!)
It was a funny choice, too.
I sat right beside Kay Deffler, mother-in-law to both Ruthie of children's church and to Danny Beam of the fb funnies... and she hadn't a clue who I was!
Pam Parker, mother of Nichola once upon a time, was with her husband Walt, and it was a pleasure talking with them.
She still has her British accent after all these years, as do my friends Cedric and Andrew.
Very nice!
And the other diner?
I think her name was Jan, but she was at the end of the table and we didn't talk much to each other.
As for the beef stew, and pumpkin pie, and that lovely salad I put together, I ate all of that!
The carrot raisin salad was okay, but not great.
And the corn muffin?
I asked for a second and took both home!
Those were breakfast the next day.
(smile!)
Today, I was there by 5:45 PM, and I made sure to give Claudette a check for tonight and the last four meals of the series.
WNS is taking a break for two weeks after tonight, so I made sure I have meals forthcoming!
Tonight, I selected a table with three diners, placing myself in the middle chair so I'd be surrounded by folks to get to know.
To my left was Emily, fairly new to the area, but a neighbor of Alexa and Jim, sitting across from us.
Alexa and Emily are fairly close, it seems, but Jim made sure to include me in the conversation.
Such a nice fellow!
Then Kathy and Preston Hodges sat in the two remaining chairs and guess what?
They were neighbors of the others, too!
They all live in the same block on Wilmington Island!
Ah, such a small world!
(smile!)
And the dinner tonight?
Definitely Lactaid worthy!
Baked ziti that was chock a block full of some of the tenderest beef ever!
Plus, the salad table had a cucumber salad that was divine - not "Da-Vine Joy", lol - on top ot the salad greens, so no dressing required!
I ate every bit of all of it, even the wilted squash and the garlic bread.
And that spice cake?
So very moist and tasty, especially without that icing!
(smile!)
Oh, and Pam and Walt were there tonight, too, and greeted me!
Their table was already full, though, but I did go over and say howdy!
And I was one of the ones singing the loudest for Walt's birthday!
He's 85 and just had his hips replaced, and he carries on like he might start dancing any minute, if someone would just strike up the band!
(smile!)
And a one.. and a two...
as Lawrence Welk would say...
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

Today at church, Pam Parker flagged me down and said hello!

Then, shortly after meeting the Afghani woman, Jim - of Jim and Alexa - flagged me down and said hello, too!

Very nice!!!