Sunday, October 2, 2022

funky brunch for lunch and dinner!


"Oh, ho! You've finally broken out that gift card, eh? When was it that Smitty gave it to you? Was that last Christmas or the one before?"
 
Admittedly, it's been sitting by the front door for a while.
 
"So, what was the occasion? Couldn't stand your own cooking anymore?"
 
Well, I must say, I have been in a slump about that. Having the WNS back in operation certainly hasn't encouraged me to cook, either. I've gotten just a bit spoiled of late. In fact, ever since the Texas Roadhouse gave me that 'family deal', I've been looking for an excuse to have someone else fix my meals.

"Hey, wasn't today World Communion Sunday? 
And a First Sunday of the month? 
That means Big Coffee Hour again at Asbury, right?"

You are correct!
But there were so many people there.
I just didn't feel like hanging out and mingling.
All the coughing that was going on had me wearing my mask for most of the service.
 
"Heard that. Too bad they felt so compelled to be there."
 
Well, this is October, and that means "God On Broadway" time.
This year, no musicals were used to accompany the sermon, as so many in the choir were out with COVID during what would have been rehearsal times.
So, "straight" - i.e., no singing - plays were chosen instead.
That doesn't mean music wasn't involved, mind you.
After all, we're talking Asbury Memorial Church!
And, true to form, this first new GOB in three years was based on "Amadeus", with a lot of Salieri questioning God about the crass Mozart being so gifted.

"Wait a minute. Didn't the church have GOB in 2020?"
 
In a manner of speaking.
The taped performances from former years were rerun.
That was to keep us in the habit of showing up and bringing friends.
Call it what you will, but GOB is a fundraiser, to bring the coffers back up after a summer of Billy, and most of the congregation, being off on vacation.
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, the church is way behind in its budget.
So, I can't begrudge the extra butts on the seats in the sanctuary...
but I'm not going to hang out with them in close quarters in Holiday Hall.
That's why I headed north to Broughton Street downtown.
 
"Good move. But weren't you concerned about the restaurant being crowded?"
 
I was, but it wasn't, surprisingly.
So I went ahead and took a table inside.
I made sure I was facing that lovely atom on the wall, too!
I do so like looking at that!
(smile!)
 
"And what's that on your plate? And why does your meal look expanded like the atom?"
 
This is their version of quiche Lorraine, but they call it "Keesh Low Rain."
Cute, right?
And that's the way they served it, so you'll have to ask them why it's all spaced out.
 
"I was referring to that orange slice in the upper left."
 
Oh, that.
It had poison on it, so I took it off the plate.
Certainly didn't want it to contaminate that cheesy egg concoction!
 
"You didn't tell the waitress about your allergy to strawberries?"
 
I forgot to ask if there would be fruit on the dish. It really took me by surprise. But, as the poison was just on top of that one slice and not touching anything else, I just handled the situation myself.
 
"So I see."
 
Hey, Gay was one of three taking care of tables inside and out. Trust me, when she saw the fruit on the table, she took it away. And she made sure my "to go" order was fruit free!
 
"Hey, that looks quite lovely! And certainly more filling than your lunch!"
 
Oh, the quiche was very rich!
I definitely could not have eaten any more at that meal.
But, yes, the Swimming BLT, with the cucumber salad, was quite filling and made a lovely dinner tonight!
 
"Most excellent! And what, pray tell, made it 'swimming' instead of a regular sandwich?

There was a delicious slab of salmon under the bacon!
I thought of it as a variation on a surf-and-turf combination - quite tasty!

"And did you exhaust that gift card?"

Nope!
I still have another meal in my future!
Hooray!
(smile!)

2 comments:

faustina said...

Are you wondering about that "birthday" tag?
After all, I didn't mention my birthday or anyone else's at all in the post.
Well, I've decided any time someone else pays for my meal, either directly or via a gift card, then that breakfast or lunch or dinner is a birthday gift to me!
Yes, yes, yes, that's what I'm going to do!
(smile!)

faustina said...

Wondering about that new GOB of "Amadeus"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMJpmdoGsEo