Tuesday, October 4, 2022

tina tuesday, con amigas

Once upon a time, Barbara and Sandy and Carolyn and I used to venture to Pooler regularly on Tuesdays for Bollywood and Indian cuisine.
Today was kinda sorta like that.
Once upon a time, I was the driver for these ventures, but no more, as night driving is very difficult with a bug in my eye.
(smile!)
So, that meant Barbara or Carolyn, as Sandy has narcolepsy.
Speaking of our youngest group member, she was absent this time.
Rosh Hashanah is in progress, as well as other high holy days, so she is with family.
This time around, Carolyn drove us three to Pooler and Barbara drove us back.
Different approach, but that worked.
No naan this time, either.
I introduced the amigas to Slapfish!
They'd never been there, never even heard of it!
However, I had Boo hooked as soon as I mentioned ceviche!
She and Carolyn may be living together, but they still are dining apart, and certainly aren't going to Mexican fare.
Barbara followed my lead, ordering the ceviche and the sauteed veggies from the appetizer menu.
 
Carolyn was having none of the healthy stuff!
She opted for the fish and chips, both fried, with nary a vegetable in sight.
(smile!)
They both ate all of what they ordered, too! 
That was impressive and good, as they tend to be picky.
As for me, well, you know I ate every bite... 
and even drank the liquid in the ceviche bowl!
(smile!)
Then it was off for the first film of our double feature!
That was out of the norm for us, too.
Usually, only one movie is viewed, and that one at its last showing of the night.
This time, we had a lunch instead of dinner, and we saw "The Greatest Beer Run Ever" at a matinee time!
How about that?!
The movie was about the effect of the Vietnam conflict on US citizens: those fighting in it, those protesting it, those supporting it, and those covering it.
It pointed out the misinformation, not only on the home front, but on the battlefield, and the great deal of naivety of all factions.
Heartbreaking for me, just as "Go Tell The Spartans" had been.
It was good to come out into the sunshine after the chill of the cinema and the movie.
And what did we do between the top and bottom of that inning?
Not much!
Just like in a baseball game, there's only a small window of time involved.
With baseball, you have two minutes to do whatever, and then the game resumes.
We had just about fifteen minutes to get from the GTC Pooler cinema over to the Royal, so no dillydallying at a shopping center!
(smile!)
As good fortune wold have it, their movie and mine had the same start time.
Hey, weren't we going to the same film?
Nope!
They were seeing the new one with Hrithik Rosen; I went to the David Bowie show.
They had seen "Moonage Daydream" last Tuesday. 
I'm very glad I stuck to my plan to watch it today!
Such a loving bit of prose poetry about this singer who regarded himself as a writer.
Such a loving bit of prose poetry, interweaving concert clips with talk show interviews.
Such a loving bit of prose poetry, mingling stories behind the songs and the costumes as the artist tried to capture the essence of his experiences in new places.
Wow.
And best of all?
I had a bit of time after to deal with the aftereffect of the movie on me.
I had so enjoyed his music through the decades, and just hearing his voice was magical.
His death had hit me much harder than I would have ever expected.
How nice of the young man who sold me the ticket to have waited after his shift to talk to me about the movie and what I had liked about it.
That was a good transition as I waited for the two other women to finish their film.
Hopefully he will have a chance to see it.
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

One of the nice things about ransacking my memory is this blog.
As I write about so many things that are important to me, the event gets crystallized into a time capsule, available online for later review.

Here's one such, about happier times, pre-pandemic.

https://beachwalksoffaustina.blogspot.com/2017/07/preemptive-rainbow.html