Sunday, October 9, 2022

bobbins, buttons, and... kites?

Let's start with that first part, shall we?
(smile!)
All of the items on the left came out of my sewing basket, believe it or not.
That nice pair of shears and the embroidery scissors...
the tube of machine oil and packages of belts...
the seam gauge and cutting wheel and pincushion...
the Velcro and elastic and tape measure...
the spools of thread and yards of lace...
the unopened packages of machine needles...
the ziploc full of machine bobbins...
and that plastic tub of buttons, buttons, buttons!
I could scarce believe it myself.
I spent an hour going through that basket that had once belonged to Grandma.
Of course most of it was in good shape!
I hardly ever ventured into that closet for it unless I had a seam to restitch or a pocket to mend.
No more!
Much of that was expensive, and I knew someone who could, and would, use it!
Even better, I knew she would be at church today, as Billy mentioned in his weekly email that the Afghani family would be in attendance.
That's because today's 'God On Broadway' sermon is centered on "The Kite Runner", a story set in Afghanistan.
I remember seeing the movie a few years ago.
The theme is forgiveness of self for past wrongs and that's always a good message.
After all, the past is gone and cannot be changed, but it does hold a lesson to be learned that will make for a better life in the present.
Like I said, a good message.
Plus, I liked the memory of flying kites with Miyah and Chloe on our girls' trip.
(smile!)
So, after all was done, I went in search of the Abasy family.
I had gathered all the sewing paraphernalia into one of the bright yellow bags I still had from SERMACS here in Savannah.
As well as it being durable for storage, it also had a pineapple - the fruit of welcome - on it, so that made it perfect as "gift" wrap.
(smile!)
I didn't have to look very hard for the family: they were at the front of the church.
After waiting my turn, I met the mother and she was so glad to get the sewing materials!
I think her name is Ibbisi, but that could be wrong.
Her spoken English was very clear, which made it easy for me to explain to her that these should have been given to her with the sewing machine, and that I once used to sew but had not in a very long time.
She told me she sews every day.
Every day!
Yes, I know Mama would be pleased that her sewing machine went to this woman.
(smile!)

2 comments:

faustina said...

Her name is actually Habisi... so, good to have that straight.
I've been looking for her at church, but have yet to see her again.
Perhaps she has travel issues?
I do hope to see her, though, so I can ask about her latest sewing projects and maybe see photos of the curtains she made.
That would be quite nice!

faustina said...

I can't believe I still didn't have that straight.

The name of the Afghani seamstress is HASIBA... H a s i b a.

Okay!