Thursday, March 23, 2023

back in the (smf) saddle again!!!

Woohoo!!!
Feels like for-ev-er since I was a volunteer usher...
and I am so very grateful to be back to that life!
Especially as the Savannah Music Festival had its first day today...
my first day back to all this, too!
Woohoo!!!
I had been a bit concerned about working this particular venue, but, once I found out how to gain entry and where to park, I think I like it.
The above was taken from the ADA gate, where my duties were, shared by Jennifer.
Off to the left is the stage for the outdoor shows, come rain or come shine, for the folks sitting on the green lawn or the Trustees Garden.

Straight down the sidewalk lies the venue I was working for the first time.
Looking like a giant warehouse from the outside...
because that's what it is...
so, not much to look at, from that vantage point...
it hides quite a nice interior!
It's partitioned into two sections, with the leftmost being the lounge for the VIP folks.
Then there's the performance space!
It's easily four times longer than it is wide, taking advantage of the hill's slope to have a sunken amphitheater vibe.
The space is divided into three areas: a central area with chairs, focused on the stage; plus areas with regular and high-top tables off to each side, with a large viewing screen and plenty of floor space for dancing.
Yes, that's what I said: dancing!!!
Obviously, I chose to sit off to this side for that activity.
(smile!)
Christian Sands had returned to Savannah for another SMF, this time as part of the High Wire Trio, with them having a trio of performances at this space today.
No, no acrobatics were involved; the name refers to a song title.
Yes, I said three performances by this jazz group today... and the pianist had family from Augusta at each one!!!
He was joined by Matthew Rybicki on bass and Ulysses Owens, Jr., on drums, with their entire set dedicated to the music, and memory, of Erroll Garner.
Naturally.
Christian Sands is the Creative Ambassador for the Erroll Garner Jazz Project -
very good for such a young (he'll be 34 on May 22nd)!
They started with a trio of songs  - "Chase Me", "High Wire", and "Dream Street" - and just how did I remember that?
I made a little sentence: chase me on the high wire above dream street!
(smile!)
That just means I need to make sure to have a pen with me next time.
After that set-up, to show us what they all had, they launched into the homage, with recorded passages from three of Garner's fellow musicians, with each accompanied by one of his songs - "Erroll's Theme", then "My Funny Valentine", followed by "Wild Song".
I was entranced by that middle song!
I've never been a fan of it, as it's generally played so slowly, like a dirge...
but not this time!
With a staccato beat and energetic bed, it really stole the show!
Wow!!!
As I told his cousin and grandma afterward, his version converted me to a fan of that piece!
(smile!)
To finish out the show, they gave us Garner's jazz standard, "Misty", a song that is four years older than I am... how about that!
Of course, I  never hear the tune without recalling the Clint Eastwood movie which featured him as a radio deejay with an obsessed female fan.
I wonder how many others also think of that 1971 use of the song?
(smile!)
Now, let me see if there are some other SMF events I want to go to...
I mean, volunteer for?
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

For this show, tickets cost $ 46.00.

All it cost me was my time, and $ 3.00 in parking.

Excellent deal!