Friday, March 31, 2023

ratatouille with a side of robbie robertson

Today was the final day of the Savannah Jewish Cultural Arts Festival.
I began my day with a trip to the JEA, then followed up with another this evening.
The "Food For Thought" at noon30 featured the vegetable dish I've only heard about in the little animated movie with the mouse-chef.
Yet, their new chef had it on the menu... so I put some of my entertainment dollars into an advance reservation.
Wow... such vibrant colors!
That's one pretty plate of food, I must say, with the spring green snap peas and the corn yellow polenta, and that lovely hunk of tomato-topped entree!
And just what was in that ratatouille?
Super thinly sliced squash and zucchini and carrot and eggplant, layered into a beautiful pile of alternating colors - 
truly quite delectable for the eye and for the palate!
In fact, I eschewed dessert for a second helping of this vegetarian feast and was quite stuffed when the speaker came on.
That's right, this $7 lunch included a talk, this time by Zelly Refson about the upcoming Jewish holiday of Passover
I had not planned to stay, but I'm glad I did.
I'd never heard of Shavuot, the Feast Of Weeks, meant to mark the seven-week transition of the Jews from being bound by slavery in Egypt and being bound by the laws of the Torah.
She concentrated on the difference between two Hebrew words for freedom, one of which - חוּפשָׁה, pronounced similar to hauf SHAH - means the same thing as "vacation", of all things, and refers to a lack of being bound to duties to others.
The other word for freedom - חֵרוּת, pronounced hay ROOT - refers to a freedom of self to be true to one's innate character.
Very interesting.
(smile!)
 
After that, I bid adieu to my tablemates: Steve (who had spent time on a submarine) and Linda (who gave me an anglicized spelling of "cha-root" for that freedom of self); Joanna (who said she loved my name) and Bob (who is new to statins and diabetes and mourning the loss of his favorite foods); and Harvey (who was first at the table while I was enjoying the art). 
Speaking of that, this piece especially spoke to me, due to its multimedia construction (tactile bits of jewelry on the ladies!).
I thought they were playing Scrabble, but that was not it at all.
I wonder what the game was?
I'll have to remember to ask about that the next time I attend one of these luncheons, if the piece is still displayed.
Meanwhile, I had bills to pay and files to declutter and bag after bag of recycling materials to be taken out to the bin!
I'm glad that will be picked up on Tuesday!
By the time I'd finished all of that, it was time for a quick bite and a return to the JEA.
I had hoped Barbara and Sandy might join me for this final film of the festival, but their plans had gone sideways today and they could not.
No worries!
It isn't like I don't have some familiarity with these "regulars" by this point in the month!
So, popcorn and water in hand, I sat in the front row.
I knew this documentary, "The Jews And The Blues", would be one that I would enjoy, for the sake of the music especially.
And I did!
Drew Stone, the director, reminded me a lot of Henry Rollins - especially when he turned loose singing with a Israeli metal punk band - so that was a plus.
Plus he spoke with a lot of different musicians over there, and had a travelogue portion about his time in Jerusalem, so the different points of view were well done.
Still, he didn't have quite enough blues music for me, aficionado that I am.
So, before I wrote this, I pulled out my Robbie Robertson CD - his first solo one, from 1987 - and listened to the entire album.
I mean every song, all the way through, singing along through my tears on "Broken Arrow", singing along in my raspiest voice for "Sweet Fire Of Love", singing along on a mellow vibe for "Somewhere Down The Crazy River", preaching with him on "Testify" - wow!
What a rush!
I'm so glad that movie brought this particular album to mind tonight.
I think I'll have to keep it out for a while...
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

I just found the note I made about the painting.
The artist is Arlene Jaffie.
Maybe someone there at JEA knows her.
Maybe she's on fb?
I'll have to try to remember to look.