Wednesday, March 1, 2023

no cooking for me on wednesdays this month!

The Wednesday Night Suppers have returned!
Hallelujah!!!
It feels like forever since they've been gone, honestly.
Nope, just four months, or so.
Tonight started off with beef stew over white rice, with Italian green beans, plus a make-your-own salad.
Oh... and these delectable, scrumptious, corn muffins!
I told Pam and Walt that I was saving mine for breakfast tomorrow.
That's what I meant to do, too.
But, at dinner's end, there were leftovers.
I came home with four, not just one, so no need to ration it out.
These got peanut butter smeared on them for dessert, just as my stepdad... or Elvis!... would have done.
Magnificent treat after my walk on the Planet's treadmill!
(smile!)
First, though, I went to the Taizé service.
It's fairly brief, meant to promote unity and peace, through meditative contemplation and the use of chant-like phrases and song.
Asbury Memorial Church started having these during the pandemic, as I recall, but their origin is with a monk in France.
Pam and Walt were going, so I did, to check it out for myself.
I must say, it really was calming to sit in the candlelit sanctuary, as the sky darkened from dusk to night.
Will I go next week?
Maybe, maybe not.
(smile!)
So, have I mentioned the all-new movies of my A*List?
I haven't???
Well, let's start with the one which was celebrating its 25th anniversary, shall we?
Hey, I said "all-new movies of my A*List", did I not?
That is to say, I had not yet viewed them at an AMC Cinema, now, doesn't it, chickie?
(smile!)
Pam is a Brit, and, as Walt says, her way of speaking does leave a residue.
(smile!)
Ahem, back to the 1997 movie, "Titanic", that caused such a stir when it first came out.
As it is, it's been playing locally for at least three weeks...
and had been her first choice for movie, but the times were wrong.
I had resisted seeing it, but, having seen the etched glass windows from the ship's ballroom - while on a visit to the Mariners' Museum in Yorktown back some ten years ago or so, I felt compelled to try to find footage with them in the film.
Sure enough, I finally did espy those elegant panes!
That was a highlight for me.
I loved the esprit de corps of the band, too, playing on as chaos erupted around them.
As for the "love story" between the delusional 17-year-old girl (played by a 22-yo Kate Winslet) and the slightly jaded twenty-something ex-patriate returning to the States (played to age by Leonardo DiCaprio), I recognize lust and rebellion when I see it.
The science was most excellent, though!
(smile!)
The other two movies were new to the silver screen, and were, like that first one, of the one-and-done variety for me.
Sure, I'll watch most anything once - ONCE! - but the true tell is if I go a second time.
Once is plenty for "Marcel The Shell With Shoes On" and "Cocaine Bear".
Yeah, I know, I know -
the titles are ludicrous, right?
Surprisingly, the one that was claymation and aimed at kids was pretty serious, dealing with death of a loved one and isolation from a middle-school point of view.
And the one that was meant to be scary felt just like a 1970's made-for-TV, animal gone wild, flick from my youth, with sections that were unintentionally hilarious.
Hey, at least it had Ray Liotta, no doubt in a role he relished as a drug kingpin, wearing the clothes and bling from the mid-1980's time frame.
I'm glad he had some fun "reliving his youth" in that last-ever role for him.
(smile)

No comments: