Thursday, March 2, 2023

coming in like a lion - RAWRRR!!!

No, I'm not referring to the weather!
It's been positively balmy and so pleasantly warm that I might think I was in Panama again.
The weather has been utterly delightful.
The cultural schedule, on the other hand, has gone stark raving mad!
Yesterday, I found out that the Savannah Jewish Cultural Arts Festival has started - as of February 25th, in fact - and spent some time trying to figure out how to fit its ten remaining movies and four days of film shorts into my life.
You see, I already have a full weekend, with Cinema Savannah on Friday, a play at SavChTh with mi amigas and dinner after, and a rare Bollywood at the Trustees on Sunday.
Also this month I'll have my first live Banana Ball with Scott by my side...
and three medical appointments...
and at least two events to usher at the Savannah Music Festival...
and Savannah Repertory Theatre's first play of the year...
and Christina's bday40...
and who knows what I'm overlooking right now...
for real!
Busy, vibrant, woman... I guess I better shift into high gear!
I'm just a bit out of practice, right?
Between three years of pandemic and the A-fib last year?
Mentally, physically, I'm just out of practice with juggling so much stuff in person.
Hey, one breath at a time, one day at a time, one event at a time...
I got this.
Starting with a table full of New Yorkers and a plate full of falafel at noon30 today.
And just where was I?
At the Savannah JEA, starting with the "Food For Thought" luncheon -
it remains the best meal in town for only $7.
Four balls of falafel, two pitas, plenty of tzatziki sauce and "Israeli salad" -
think pico de gallo with no heat -
and lots of conversation about Brooklyn and the Bronx and Broadway!
Very nice!
Then came the movie, "Israel Swings For The Gold"... and it was all baseball, baby!!!
What a grand opener for my SJCAF!!!
Compiled from the handheld video cameras the ballplayers were given upon arrival at their quarters at the 2020/2021 Olympic Summer Games, it was a lot of boys being boys... and I do love that silly stuff!
They were new to the world of the Olympics...
they were new to the game of baseball...
and many were even new to being Israeli citizens.
So, add it all up and there's a bunch of missteps along the way, but also a lot of heart.
I guess I missed the fact that they were novices when I heard Israel was one of the six countries that would play baseball on that world stage.
Honestly, I couldn't say I would have seen their games on US television, except for their second game, when they played against this country and lost badly.
But I would have missed their first game, versus South Korea.
That's when their starting pitcher blew out his arm in the first inning.
Not good, especially as they didn't have another starter.
Still, they gave it a good try, actually making it past the first elimination round.
What a good movie!
(smile!)
Now, I hear the back yard calling for its turn beneath the Ryobi...
here I come, weeds!
(smile!)

No comments: