Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Mama, can you believe she's 40?

Dearest Mama,

That first grandchild of yours is forty years old today.

F-O-R-T-Y.

I remember when I turned 40 like it was yesterday.

What a grand birthday that was!!!

And here was Christina Ann, at the fortieth birthday party of mine, on the day reserved for family.

Remember?

Jeff did a cookout and we had all the family over, with all their kids, and with you and Frank, of course, on that Sunday of my extended birthday weekend.

She was fifteen years old then.

And now...

now, she's the age I was then.

That must mean a quarter of a century has elapsed, somehow...

much of it with you gone.

I have tried to be an especially good aunt to her, hoping to make up for your absence.

Silly me...

as if one person could replace another.

(smile)

She and I have become great friends, each remembering how to give your special hugs to each other, as well as to other members of the family... but especially to each other.

(smile)

Saturday, I'll be going to the birthday party that her little sister Chelsea is hosting.

Yes, the little sister that got married back in November of 2021.

She and her man have at long last gotten their new home livable, complete with working kitchen and new floors - I know Chelsea is loving being able to cook at home!

Yeah, that's a long time to not have a kitchen.

(smile)

Anyway, as I said the party is on Saturday and I'm making sure your presence will be there, as represented by the presents I have for Christina Ann.

You see, you instilled a deep fondness for "The Wizard Of Oz" in me and in her.

Neither of us can watch that movie and not feel you right there with us.

In fact, remember when you helped me find that stand-up birthday card a few months back?

Yes, the one with the motif from that movie.

(smile!)

Well, that set the theme for my gifts to her!

The gold filigree Christmas ornament with the tornado, Dorothy, and her little dog, too -

the gold filigree Christmas ornament with the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, and the Lion -

and the set of four pins, one of which had those ruby red slippers!

Those will be perfect... and are still in their packaging from that Beech Mountain trip!

(smile!)

Yes, just perfect.

Thank you, Mama.

with much love always...

No comments: