Sunday, March 26, 2023

katniss has left the building

It looks pretty bare up there, doesn't it?

I recall getting an email from the Jepson about the mobile being taken down, but it was during the cold weather, so... I missed it.

Which is to say that I miss katniss now.

That isn't to say all change was disappointing.

Far from it!

As the Roswell frogs will attest, big things are on their way!

Rather than have a small area for children to get creative, there will soon be a Children's Museum on the premises.

I'm looking forward to that change!

It isn't as though the place doesn't already celebrate the artistic abilities of the area youth.

See all of those swatches of color, going down the hall and clean on around the corner and the next wall?

Those tiles are all part of the art project the museum has with 2700 - yes, 2,700 - fourth-graders in Chatham County.

Amazing, isn't it?

The art of even more children at various elementary and middle schools was included in the Making Marks exhibit.

Consider the intricacy of the designs here.

These were each done by a different student at Heard Elementary, where some of my nieces and nephews went to school.

The colored rice mosaics reminded me of the mandala created by the Tibetan monks at the Jepson, some few years back.

What other changes did I find?

Well, I very much enjoyed the interactive component of the PULSE exhibit earlier this year.

No, I had missed it, due to weather too cold for my warm heart.

However, "Scenocosme" remained here and allowed me to open a portal to another dimension of light!

That was fun!

Plus... "Swarm" has returned!!!!!

Hooray, hooray, I love this day!!!

It's been one of my all-time favorites since its PULSE appearance in 2012, and I'll have to be sure to visit it again soon.

This time around, it's part of a mash-up of modern art in the exhibit "Anything Goes", as well as one of Rev. Howard Finster's pieces, and others from previous displays.

I look forward to spending a bit more time with all of that on some other Sunday afternoon.

Today, I wanted to catch a new exhibit, "Photography's Last Century", which was also on that third floor space.

The one new piece that really captured me was a huge photograph from Gregory Crewdson.

He liked to pose his art as if it were "a single-frame movie", and I'd say he succeeded with this one.

I'd call it "Panegyric To A Rose Bush", as i have some experience with the loss of a dear bit of fauna, but I don't recall seeing his title for it.

I'd lollygagged a bit longer than I'd intended -

"Swarm" has that effect on me -

and my two hours here were drawing to a close.

My shift with SMF would soon begin, and that would be right next door, so time for one last call at the loo!

I'll most certainly return!!!

(smile!)

No comments: