Wednesday, March 8, 2023

no opera singers for this meal tonight

"Hahahaha! You must still be jamming on Jason Derulo's performance last night!"

Actually, no. I had the second WNS tonight over at Asbury...

"Oh, right, no cooking on Wednesdays for you this month!" 

Correct. As I was saying, I dined over at...

"You know, I distinctly recall opera singers there on occasion. Were they presenting a concert for Savannah VOICE or were they part of a GOB performance?"

Would you mind holding down the interjections until after I've made my point? Please?

"Sure, sure, I can do that."


Okay, let's get to it right away before you forget. We had Tetrazzini tonight.

"And? You just wanted to talk about that casserole dish?"

Well, yeah. Bet you didn't realize it was named for a famous Italian soprano! She had a three-decade career on famous stages around the world.

"Do you think she ever sang with Sherrill Milnes?"

No, Luisa was about two generations before him. She'd been off the stage for at least forty years by the time he started singing.

"Hmmm. So, how was the dinner? Did you sit with Pam and Walt?"

The dinner was very good, though no one seemed to know if it was chicken or turkey. I didn't run into the Brit and her Sugar Daddy until we were all going to the Taize service. I made sure to tell her about the Bill Nighy movie.

"Oh, I know she'll like that one!"

Yeah, me, too, that's why I'm glad I ran into her. I sat with Kim and Steve Johnson and they talked about him running into a deer on his bicycle some years ago. Quite funny! The other two guys on their bikes hit the deer, too - and the deer just got up and walked off. Jim and Ann Green were there, too, and got a kick out of the tale. We got to talking about food allergies after Steve left and Jim was very excited to find out about the cheeses that are lactose-free. I got the impression he's recently been diagnosed with an intolerance to milk sugar, so I was glad to enlighten him.

"I'm sure you included the Muenster, too." 

Most definitely. Ever since I recently found it was lactose-free, I make sure to have my open-faced "grilled cheese" toast with it in the mornings. Such a nice change of pace!

"Just like the little services on Wednesdays are a nice change of pace."

Absolutely! I even told Rev. Billy afterward that I very much enjoyed these "islands of calm" after the WNS. He liked that, saying he thinks of them as oases. I liked that.

"And tomorrow you have the American Legion..."

Nope! I thought that was a done deal, but Doug started a textversation with several of us this evening and that wasn't even one of the proposed dates for the meeting. None of the alternates he suggested were going to work out, so I moved that the March meeting be cancelled and others agreed. That means I'm free and clear to do whatever I wish on Thursday! Not that I really know what to do, but at least I'm free!

"Hey, you could go to that play at the Lucas that you just found out about! "The Play Where Everything Goes Wrong - isn't that what it's called? "

I could... I really want to see it after that teaser we got in October... I'm just not so sure I should be out at night.


"Oh, no! Has the weather taken a turn for the worse?"

As a matter of fact, it has. Totally aggravating to me, too. This afternoon I tried to measure my blood pressure and found the A-fib was acting up. The machine couldn't get a bead on my heart rate. I tried three times and stepped away from it. I guess it's a good thing that I see the heart doc on Friday.

"Damn. I hate to hear that."

It's my own fault. I was still in my nightgown, with the windows still open as they had been at noon, and hadn't realized that the air had chilled down so quickly. It was already down to the upper 50's at 4 PM. My heart noticed, though, and reacted accordingly. Dagnabbit.

"Well, it's up to you, but maybe you should wait to see it on Sunday afternoon. That will give you time to get your amigas lined up to go with you."

Yeah, that's a good idea. Okay, "The X-Files" is about to come on, finally, and it has two of my favorites, "Kill Switch" - with the song "Twilight Time" - and then "Bad Blood". I just love the "he said-she said" versions from Mulder and Scully of the sheriff played by Luke Wilson! I just wish Comet would shift the schedule back to its 9 PM start time. Oh, well! Bye!

No comments: