Wednesday, March 29, 2023

noon30 as a lift wench!

Yes, I have a new title!
Some years back - i.e., before pandemic - I was the Gate Wench at the Ships of The Sea Museum venue.
Remember that?
Yeah, 2016 seems like forever ago to me, too.
Well, now, I'm the Lift Wench at the Metal Building!!!
There were three of us trying to figure it out, but I did, so they gladly left me to it.
As I told the riders, just listen for that solenoid to know when it's about to move and when it's done!
(smile!)
How very nice to have a noon30 show - I love those!
This one was, as I said, at the Metal Building at the Trustees Garden.
How very nice to have a jazz prequel for the show!
I missed most of the set from the Charles Ellis School students, as I was learning how to operate the lift, but I liked what I heard.
(smile!)
What a boon for them to get to perform here!
Yes, it was a bit chilly - high only in the mid-60's today, hence the lacey top under my SMF T-shirt - but I doubt the kids noticed.
(smile!)
And just who did we have on stage?
The Charles McPherson Quintet, featuring the saxophonist who helped get the music for the 1988 film, "Bird"!
He'll be 84 in July, by the way; that makes him three years younger than Daddy.
Just sayin'.
(smile!)
He was accompanied by Sean Jones (trumpet), Jeb Patton (piano), David Wong (bass), and Bill Drummond (drums... no joke!).
As this was a jazz set, you know what that means: everybody had a turn to strut their stuff and show off their chops for every song.
(smile!)
Five musicians, five songs, 60 minutes of music, total.
In and out, short and sweet!
They started with a McPherson tune, "Horizons", from 1968.
"A Tear And A Smile", a slow and reflective piece followed, then they picked up the pace quite a bit with "Dee Blues", a number he did at his 82nd birthday party last year.
For the penultimate song, he first pointed out his daughter in the audience, then spoke of the children's game, jacks, as the intro to "Jumping Jacks".
The song came out in 2008, the same year he participated in the Oral History project.
His daughter looked to maybe be in her 30's... maybe she was a teen then?
And for the last song of the set, he reached way back - back to 1938, the year before his birth - for a Ray Noble song, Cherokee.
I very much enjoyed the drum solo for that one!
Lots of work with the cymbals!
(smile!)
Now, I need to figure out how I'll change up my look for the noon30 I have on Friday.
You know me: I gotta have something different to keep it fun for me!
Like my own little inside jokes.
(smile!)
Take these pins, for instance.
For the first concert, I wore the sparkly, American Heart Association, red dress.
My hair was worn in a shoulder-height ponytail on the right side.
For the first concert at the TUMC on Sunday, I wore the little unicorn running alongside the rainbow, a pin I've had since I was in high school.
That time, my hair was pulled into a ponytail at the back of my neck.
You know, something cute in the front, something more serious in the back... like a reverse mullet.
(smile!
Then, when I went back to the TUMC for the Sunday concert, I brought out the unicorn on a field of navy (rather dressy and dating from Okinawa) and wore two ponytails, both shoulder-height.
Today, there was no pin and my hair was worn loose.
(smile!)
I wonder what I'll do for Friday?
(smile!)

2 comments:

faustina said...

Did I mention that Lainie was the House Manager?
No, I didn't think so.
I don't know that she had tattoo sleeves before, but she does know.

Did I mention that Jan had convinced her hubby (Tim) and her sister (Jeri) to come and volunteer, too?
No, I didn't, did I?

What about my brief stint as Savannah guide for two women who arrived after the concert was over?
Seriously, I didn't?
Well, I did, walking with them back from the venue and west on Broughton, encouraging them to go to the Jepson and the Telfair.
Plus, there was the SCAD art gallery across from the Trustees Theatre, which was right beside Leopold's ice cream...
oh, yeah, that was a winner with them!
And I suggested they check out Jazz'd Tapas in case they had a band tonight, and told them where to find Sixpence Pub, which they wanted to hit for dinner.
Bless them, they were so enjoying my chatter that they were a bit dismayed when I bid farewell and went around the corner to retrieve my car!
(smile!)

faustina said...

For this show, tickets cost $ 31.00.

All it cost me was my time, and $ 3.00 in parking (for space 6089).

Excellent deal!