Sunday, March 12, 2023

american what?

Matt Jones is responsible for any confusion.
Remember him?
He's the one who writes those crossword puzzles I so enjoy.
This one was titled "Stateside - and the rest will follow".
So I was thinking, naturally, that the clues would lead to answers with state names.
Pretty logical conclusion, right?
Only, it wasn't that at all.
In fact, the one clue that helped the most was this: "Word that can precede each individual word in the four theme answers".
That one word?
American.
Oh.
Okay, I get it now.
The first theme clue that I figured out the correct response was the last one.
"The schmaltziest pop orchestra music you'll ever hear?"
That turned out to be bandstand cheese - pretty funny!
And the light bulb lit up!
Oh!
Got it!
Back to the first theme clue: "Carriers that only offer nonstop flights?"
What else could it be except express airlines!
Very nice, very nice.
Quick, gimme another!
How about "The Three Stooges' Roman ancestors?"
The first word gave me trouble until I remembered wielding their favorite weapon myself.
The answer just had to be pie gladiators... and it was!
I've seen the 1999 film about boys coming of age, but I don't recall watching the athletic competition TV show a decade earlier.
The final theme clue read: "Hitchcock sequel set at Yale?"
Say what?
The second word was a bother, but I finally got it, thanks to Dane: psycho bulldog.
I can't say I ever saw the turn of the this century movie, but I'm quite familiar with the pet breed finally made official by the AKC just a year earlier.
Nice puzzle!

Then I had one he hadn't included in that crossword.
So, here it is: "the cucumber treat with Seth Rogen as his own great-grandpa?"
Hahahaha! Hahaha!
Those are of my own creation!
Today, I was one of about ten there at the JEA for this film installment of the SJCAF.
There was a picnic luncheon beforehand, that I had thought of attending, but did not.
However, I did get to watch a couple of families enjoying the grilled burgers there behind the building.
The film was shown upstairs, which was different.
Then, since they had switched places on us, it was also free, instead of $15 - what a treat!
With potato chips and oranges instead of popcorn!
Thanks, y'all!
I was able to visit with Al and Leslie, who have been volunteer ushers at the SMF for the past few years, so that was good.
They had helpful info about working the new Metal Building venue, as well as the outdoors, sit on the grass, Garden of the Trustees.
I may need to back out of one of the shows I've selected, but we'll see how it goes.
(smile!)
I'm glad today's film festival venue changed.
I was able to enjoy this painting in the stairwell!
Blowing bubbles... so much fun!
And the movie was fun, too, with the great-grandpa Hershel having been preserved in pickle brine for a century, only to be finally revived and having just one relative still living: his great-grand-son Ben, who was the same age as he had been when pickled.
Hey, with Seth Rogen in the double lead, it was sure to have laughs, right?
(smile!

I just wish I had taken a better look at the Weather Song before I left home.
100% rain had been forecast... but all I saw was the lovely warm temperature.
So, off I'd gone, wearing sandals with hardly any tread...
sans umbrella...
in short sleeves...
and came out after the film to rain and a bit of a chill breeze.
I had thought I might take in another movie at the cinema...
nope!
I'm home and home I'll stay!
One good thing: no ill effect of the "spring forward" time change.
Remember?
I didn't change my stove clock or the one in my car.
I'd turned my phone off before bed, so I woke up to the time on the stove...
the same time I've been using for meals and such since before the "fall back"...
so, no artificial jet lag for this girl!
Woohoo!!!
(smile!)

No comments: