Sunday, July 30, 2023

mel's vacay: a day with boomers

Today began like any other Sunday: "CBS Sunday Morning", "Teen Kids News", just to give my dear house guest a taste of my present-day life.

Very nice, and I even made breakfast for us!

We had a bit of time to relax and do whatever before the event of the day.

And just what was that?

A movie with Boomers In Action!

That meant more time with Jackie!

In fact, let me take a moment to say, "Thanks, Jackie, for the photo from Thursday!"

There were five of us to view "Oppenheimer", one of the most-hyped movies ever.

I'm sure I've been seeing previews for it ever since "Tenet" came out... and that was in September of 2020!!!

Seriously.

I didn't care for it.

Whoever was in charge of the music was convinced it was a horror show, and, I suppose, from a particular perspective, it certainly was.

A scientist so enthralled with the pursuit of theory that he agrees to head a project to build a nuclear bomb?

Sure, there's the rationale that some country was going to do that very thing, so why not let it be the United States of America that gets there first?

Seriously, that's not an appropriate reason to build a weapon of massive death.

Anyway, after the three-hour ordeal, we three, plus one, went to Rachael's Sports Bar, over in Georgetown, for dinner.

That was a great idea!

Melanie got to know Jackie better, and we all had a chance to get to know Regina.

Jackie brought up my Periodic Table For The Blind, and guess what?

Regina had an uncle, Harold Krents, who had become blind as a boy after a football injury. Because he was already nine when he went blind, he preferred to have readers rather than use braille... much like my student had!

Unlike my student, Krents had plenty of people willing to serve as readers and help him study. Ian had not even been able to get his family and friends to help him with my class, even though I made the Periodic Table specifically for him. I know he could have done so much better in class if he had more support! Krents went on to get a law degree from Harvard and was instrumental in getting rights for disabled people. There were even two movies - "Butterflies Are Free" and "To Race The Wind" - that were based on his short life!

What a marvelous conversation!

Plus, Melanie's pizza was so big that she brought part home. Dinner for tomorrow!

Once we returned home, and got settled in, the question arose: what now?

I had a 1-Dollar Weekend Movie reward still to rent, so we watched "The Incredibles", a movie she'd never seen. She liked it okay, but that's really not her speed.

Time to ramp things up with a blast from the past, I thought!

How about a little mid-1980's adventure?

"Romancing The Stone" was just what we both needed for sweet dreams!

Thanks, Tubi!

No comments: