Monday, November 28, 2022

F T 2 B O F F

I tried to go vote today, I really did.
But the parking lot had folks haphazardly leaving their vehicles and being rude.
So, I left.
I guess that was something different, right?
Yeah, I didn't think so.
How's about I talk of something cheerier?
Yes, let's do that!
(smile!)
Something like... the From Teens 2 Business Owners Film Festival, let's say?
That's based on all of these movies being ones rented for one dollar in order to benefit 
a site that teaches kids to become entrepreneurs.
Hey, if that's what Comcast wants me to do...
then, yes, yes, I will rent a movie every weekend in November and December!
Gratefully!
(smile!)
And, if I had really though about it, I would have seen "Trading Places" first.
Por qué esa película primero?
The one dollar wager between Mortimer and Randolph for one.
The one dollar wager between Louis and Billy Ray, for another.
Our little inside joke, eh?
Plus, there's the entire lesson in supply and demand in the economics world and on Wall Street.
Yes, that would have been purr-fect as the first in this line-up!
But that isn't what happened.
That 1983 movie was the third one viewed and not even on my mind yet.
No, the first film in this series was 2003's "Bruce Almighty".
Why? 
Seriously? 
With all that "at 7 on the 7th" stuff I so love!?!
I mean, just look at that scene... it's like dancing!!!
Plus, that first weekend, I needed a pick-me-up at day's end and this movie always, always, ALWAYS cheers me up.
Besides the presence of Jim Carrey and Morgan Freeman, working so B-E-A-utifully together, there's the story of a man finding out that power isn't everything.
Free will, choice, and change are.
Then there's this guy with the signs, signs, everywhere a sign!
Sounds like a punny song to me! (smile!)
I watched that movie three times over the two days I had it.
Sometimes at night, sometimes with breakfast, I watched all of these three times.
That's because they are movies I have owned, but have not watched for a while.
Like this one, "The War Of The Roses", from 1989.
On the surface, it's a love story with a meet-cute at an estate sale when Barbara and Oliver are both bidding on the same Japanese sculpture.
She's a gymnast, he's gonna be a lawyer, and it's raining, so their story proceeds.
Catch my drift?
But, as Danny DeVito, the lawyer, puts it, it wasn't all love and roses for the Roses.
She worked on raising the children and turning the house into the one he always wanted.
He worked on making partner and supplying the money for all that.
The problem arose for the Roses when the children were grown.
It led to that age-old dilemma: How do you keep someone from leaving when all they want is to go, and how do you get rid of someone when all they want is to stay?
Yep, a dark comedy, with Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas and their magic!
 
That's why I have "Romancing The Stone" on my "to view" list.
But the last one in November was not that one, but "Raising Arizona".
Time for some Nicolas Cage action, with a side of Holly Hunter!
He's an ex-felon, she's an ex-cop, and they've been married for a while and she wants to have "a little critter" running around to share their "salad days" of bliss.
And they try, boy howdy how they try!
But no luck.
So, when the furniture salesman has quintuplets, they take one.
After all, he has "more than he can handle", right?
The salesman's wife disagreed and, next thing you know, there's a $25,000 reward up for grabs and several folks trying to grab the baby, including two ex-cons (John Goodman and William Forsythe) and a bounty hunter described as a "warthog from hell" (former boxer Randall "Tex" Cobb).
Yeah, things get a bit complicated for Hi and Ed!
And, as I watched that for the second time, I realized something: my favorite movies have a lot going on in them.
Like, several plot lines arcing and interweaving.
Hmm... maybe I've been ADHD and never knew it?
Quite possibly!
No biographies or nature documentaries in my movie library, not now, not ever.
That's not to say I won't watch those... 'cause I will, and do.
I just won't feel compelled to own them.
Guess you're never too old to learn something new about yourself!
(smile!)
What's lined up for the five weekends of December?
Well, as I said, "Romancing The Stone" has made the list.
So has "Peggy Sue Got Married", another with Kathleen Turner, this time paired with Nicolas Cage as high school sweethearts caught in a time warp.
I have "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" on the list, even though it's one I never owned.
Nor have I ever owned "Tick, Tick... Boom!", a musical I'd wanted to see in September and which is available as a film.
Then, there's a baseball movie, "Bull Durham", because I love that one and I'll be wanting a summertime vibe while I'm on Summer Time.
I'm not sure if these choices will stand, of course.
Comcast may not have them, or I might hear of some other film that I deem more worthy of a slot in the continuance of the FT2BOFF.
Who knows?
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

Well!

After seeing "Violent Night" yesterday, I may have to change my $1 Movie Night list for December.

Why?

It got me craving "Die Hard".
That's a Christmas movie, 'R" rating and all...
and that's what "Violent Night" was, too.

Plus, there were the references to "Home Alone" throughout...
and the M-16 toting wife of the rich son reminded me of another mother in another favorite holiday movie, "The Long Kiss Goodnight"...
so, those may need to be added.

Yeah, looks like a kick-butt Christmas, with happily ever afters!
(smile!)