Sunday, September 4, 2022

ending the day with Bob Denver!

"Was 'Gilligan's Island' running at night?"

Nope! It was some crazy movie compiled from several episodes of "Dusty's Trail", an early 70's series that I seem to have totally missed.

"And the name of the movie?

It was "The Wackiest Wagon Train In The West", released in 1976. I don't recall ever seeing it, either. Seems like it would have perfect for the drive-in cinemas! Funny and sweet!

"So, my guess is you were attracted to it because it's a western?"

Yeah. I suppose that "Nope" has set me in that direction, but it's also a comedy, with lots of pratfalls and such. And, even though I hadn't seen it, it was very familiar to me.

"Let me guess. Did it have a story line centered on the misadventures of seven people?"

It did!!! Honestly, it was "Gilligan's Island" reset in time and space to the American wild, wild west in the 1800's!

"I was just kidding. Are you serious???"

I am!!! This photo is of Bob Denver, known as 'Dusty', and Forrest Tucker as the wagonmaster, 'Mister Callahan'. For this segment, both are disguised as 'Dolly' and 'Kitty' to try to fool two gold-miners in search of women.

"Those miners must have been pretty hard up to fall for that!

Well, the ruse didn't last long, because Gilligan... I mean, Dusty... screwed it up...

"... as he always did!"

You got it! Leaving the Captain - as represented by Mr. Callahan - to sort things out, with the help of the others. The Professor = Andy. May Ann = Betsy. Ginger with the red hair = blonde Lulu. The Howells = the Brookhavens. Honestly, after I made my scorecard, it was easy to know what to expect from the players!

"Not that it would have been difficult otherwise, but I'm sure you found that fun."

I did! And today has been a pleasant, leisurely day. I went earlier to another 40th anniversary event, this time at the cinema for "Star Trek: The Wrath Of Khan".

"Very nice!!! That Ricardo Montalbán was always so easy on the eyes!"

Totally agreed!!! And though I very much remembered his death in the movie, I had forgotten that Spock also died. That took me by surprise.

"Well, you can thank your ability to forget movie endings for that. I guess that's one of the reasons you can watch a movie multiple times and still be perfectly satisfied at the end of it, as if it's all new to you again."

Hey, what can I say? Except I must now bid you adieu as I play with children tomorrow. So, say 'good night', dear!

"Good night, dear!"

(smile!)

No comments: