Friday, September 2, 2022

dos noches con tres mujeres!

It was a dark and stormy night...
so that must mean we were out at Cinema Savannah again!
Hahahaha! Hahaha!
Last night, we made up about 20% of the audience.
No, really!
I can wait while you do the math.
Hahahaha! Hahaha!
Sadly, though, this movie that Tomasz had curated for his foreign movie club was not very good.
I had high hopes for it, as it was written and directed by Kevin Kline's son... but "Funny Pages" was overly full of grotesqueness, as demonstrated by its cast of characters and their mean spirits.
Funny strange, yes.
Funny  "hahaha", most definitely a resounding "No".
Tonight's entertainment was much better, even though we again had rain!
Barbara and Sandy were with me again, as well as their theatre-loving friend with the banker's hours, Kaye.
(That's an inside joke with mi amigas!)
And what's going on here?
It's an opening night reception!!!
Oh, how we have missed these with CTFE!
Thanks, David Poole, for bringing back this tradition!
Thanks, too, for trying again to being us this play!
"Quilters" was a pure delight!
As well as being a musical, it was a true celebration of the work that women do, now, then, and always.
The seven actresses portrayed a multitude of characters, recounting the stories of these pioneer women through the designs of sixteen quilt blocks.
Magnificent!
Some were patterns I'd seen before; many were new to me, and hardly any were reflected in the myriad of quilts displayed on the walls of the stage, the walls in the lobby, and the walls up and down the hall.
Even the women's costumes were constructed of quilts!

It reminded me of my quilting days, during my teens and beyond.
I don't recall whatever became of the quilt I made for Great-Granny White.
However, the pillow I quilted for Grandma, to accompany her on her Greyhound bus rides, was constructed from bits of clothing I'd made during my disco days.
Reds, pinks, and white-on-white.
After she died in 1997, the pillow was returned to me, and it sits in the rocking chair I brought back from Panama.
And now, thanks to this historical musical, I again know the name of that pattern.
"Lone Star"
How appropriate for scraps of clothing that danced under a disco ball!
Right place, right time.
(smile!)

2 comments:

faustina said...

How nice to have seen "Quilters" at the Savannah Children's Theatre location!
That's just down the street from me, which was nice, since I was a little uncomfortable driving in the rain at night.
The crowd wasn't big for it, either, so there was plenty of space to spread out inside.
Hopefully, more folks will hear about it and go.
I certainly spread the word on fb!
(smile!)

faustina said...

It just occurred to me that sewing has been on my mind a lot of late.
I already had the ticket to "Quilters" when I read in the church newsletter about the family needing a sewing machine... so I gave them Mama's.

https://beachwalksoffaustina.blogspot.com/2022/08/off-to-new-home.html

I guess I could have given them mine, but it's so old that it just might catch fire if they used it.
It'll stay in the hall, getting used as a desk, as it has been for years.
Maybe I should try to sell it... but what would I put photos on in the hall?
(smile!)
At least I finally patched up the pockets in my jeans shorts.
And where did I find the sewing needles and thread?
In Grandma's sewing basket, of course.
(smile!)