Thursday, September 1, 2022

plethora of theatre activity!!!


It seems that every troupe in this seaport is trying to get going again!
That's all well and good, truly, as there has been a dearth of that since the pandemic began.
But, still... all in this same month???
Apparently so.
 
The Collective Face Theatre Ensemble will have "Quilters" for the first two weekends.
That's a musical from 1982, which I'll be attending tonight.
Fortunately, that will be at the Savannah Children's Theatre midtown, so there will be plenty of free parking. 
(smile!

The SavChTh will most definitely have a play, but they're performing it elsewhere.
The musical, "Pete The Cat", based on a children's book series, will be at The Historic Savannah Theatre on Bull Street.
Why?
I don't know, unless it's to draw more locals to that venue downtown.
That starts the third weekend of September and runs through the first weekend of October.
Most likely, I'll be catching that last production.
Most likely, I'll be going for the Sunday matinee... parking is free for Sundays.
(Yes, I'm a local and I object to paying for the privilege of parking downtown.)

The Bay Street Theatre will host the premiere of "Rockabye" for Labor Day weekend, as special early matinees, at the Club One location downtown.
The following two weekends will see BST's production of "Tick, Tick... Boom!", a pseudo-autobiographical musical written by Jonathan Larson (of "Rent" fame) in 1990.
The troupe already presented "Murder At The Bay Street Cabaret" last month, and will offer its near-annual romp, "The Rocky Horror Show", next month.
I missed the one in August as I was having my 45-inning vacation, and I doubt I'll go to October's show, as I've seen it so often; however, I'll be at "Rockabye" on Saturday and hope to see the other September musical.
Sadly, there's a serious parking issue, now and in the future, exacerbated by the recent permanent closure of two blocks of Broughton to vehicular traffic.
 
The Savannah Stage Company will be reprising their musical "Charlotte's Web" production from 2020, just before the COVID pandemic began here in the US.
There will be two major differences, though.
Rather than use the cramped space down in the Starland area, this will be at the Tybeee Post Theatre, so parking may be a challenge, but not bad.
And, rather than use the adults for the show, their new Teen Troupe will be treading the boards and sharing their talents.
I just may have to go see it on its one-night, mid-month, stand!
(smile!)

Savannah Repertory Theatre will have its professional actors at work for "The Christians" for the third and fourth weekends of this month.
Yes, the same time that the BST and SavStageCo and SavChTh will have plays.
Ack! I guess they don't think their audiences overlap!
But I like it all!!!
Just too eclectic, if that's any such thing.
At least their downtown location is still being remodeled.
That's why the production will be at Asbury Memorial Church.
There's certainly plenty of parking there!!!
(smile!)

And, rounding out the month with its southside location at Jenkins Hall on the GaSoU: Armstrong campus will be "The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940"!
I don't know if the college troupe is still called the Masquers, but I hope so.
I hope the physicist will join me, too, as he loves stuff from that era.
It will only play for that first weekend of October, though.
And parking???
So...much...free...parking!!!
(smile!)

Such a busy month for theatre lovers!
I wonder just how many of these I'll be seeing?
One thing about being retired is having a fixed income and I recently gave myself a pay cut.
Maybe some of the shows need volunteers to help out...
I'll have to check!
(smile!)

3 comments:

faustina said...

Well, I missed "Tick, Tick...Boom!", and not because I didn't go downtown for it, twice, but could not find parking either time.
Drats.
I also missed "Charlotte's Web", as that was held the same night that I had my discounted preview ticket for "The Christians".
That play, by the way, I saw twice!
Once for pay, once as payment for my volunteer duties.
Yeah!
I've also seen "Quilters" and "Rockabye"!
So, that's three of the seven, with two more to still be able to see.
Yep, I'm starting to feel like normal!
(smile!)

faustina said...

Live theatre is done for this month.
"The Comedy Murders of 1940", all four days of the production, have been canceled by the wienies at GaSoU.
Drats.
Double drats.
I was really looking forward to that with mi tres amigas.

faustina said...

News update: Broughton Street is again open to vehicular traffic along its length.
Good!
That doesn't alleviate the parking issue much, though, as only two blocks were affected.