Thursday, September 15, 2022

pest alert from the southeast!

The polka dot wasp moth looks pretty, but its orange, long-haired, caterpillars have managed to eat almost all the leaves of my oleander!

If you have any oleanders, be on the lookout for these ravenous Caribbean natives.

I had first seen this creature the last week of August. 

I thought it was a wasp. 

As it was trapped between the screen and the window, I left it alone.

Tuesday, I saw another one outside by the mailbox and killed it.
 

These are rows and rows of eggs on the back of an oleander leaf.

I took that Tuesday afternoon. 

I had noticed the oleander was ailing when I took out the trash, so I went in search of a cause and found these.
 

These are the beasts inside the egg cases. 

Ravenous, ravenous. 

I do hope the oleander will recover.

It had so many fragrant pink blossoms this year!

I have managed to save the leaves on one branch of the oleander. 

The moth caterpillars come out in the late afternoon, when the sun is not directly shining on the plant. 

I would go at that time of day and pick off the leaves with the caterpillars or eggs, then deposit them on the fire ant bed.

I have not seen anymore of the pests, either adult or larval form, since this evening. 

Hooray!

John Denion, Deatre Nicole Boyles Denion, please pass this along to the city gardeners.

I would hate for all of Savannah's lovely oleanders to be denuded like mine has been.

5 comments:

Morgan Delong Cryer said...

Yikes! One of those made it into our RV and was hanging out on the ceiling for a while. They’re huge!

(I had made the following reply to her fb post:
Morgan, yes, they are.
They very much look like a wasp, too, but they have no stinger, as they are a moth.
Their biggest danger is to every oleander on the planet.)

Faye Hill Kameron said...

Thank you for sharing. My niece had sent me a picture of this type of caterpillar and I didn’t know anything about it.

Jo Coleman-Williams said...

I’ve been watching my plants. Seems to me that certain caterpillars eat the leaves, then cocoon, then come back as beautiful butterflies. Circle of life.

(I had replied on fb:
Jo, yes, only the caterpillars eat the leaves.
The thing is, my oleander is completely devoid of leaves now.
Really sad looking.)

To which she said:
The butterflies will show out!

(No, these are non-pollinating moths.)

Lindsay McCord Norman said...

They devoured a plant of mine that wasn’t an oleander.

(to which I replied on fb:
Lindsay, I've been watching closely the azalea beside the oleander, but have not seen any damage there.
The oleander is completely devoid of leaves.)

faustina said...

The official name of the moth is Syntomeida epilais.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntomeida_epilais

Perhaps it was those very fragrant blooms that my oleander had this year that drew the moth to its side?
Quite possibly.
This was the first time I had ever noted a perfume from its flowers.