Tuesday, September 27, 2022

what do you do with a drunken sailor?

Ever since a textversation I had with the first niece earlier tonight, that old sea chantey has been running on repeat on that mental jukebox I have.
Here's how our talk went.
 
 * * * * *
me: Are you watching this hurricane?!! I don't know what happened to it in Cuba, but i suspect it had too much wacky weed. Been changing its path like a drunk.

her: Yes Ma'am. I am looking for a hotel further west. I am not sure. The latest model has it crossing Fla. Then going off shore. Then making landfall again somewhere between Jacksonville and Savannah.


me: I am hoping it doesn't come to that. 
Waiting for the 11 PM update on the noaa website. 
I have been tracking since Saturday.


her: Me, too. Trying to stay awake. 
Work has already decided to close Thursday and Friday.
I am thinking long weekend somewhere.
Crazy how much it is changing.


me: It's as if its feet got tripped up on that island.

her: Cuba must have given Ian a free drink and sent him on his way.
 

me: Got him good and drunk, more likely.
Maybe they gave him a few too many 'hurricanes'.
Those are powerful drinks.
And in huge glasses.
Haven't heard how big it is, how wide a swath it's cutting.
 

her: This morning they said 200 miles wide.
 
me: Damn. That's very large, as big as Matthew was.
 
her: Yes, it is.
 

me: Well, hell's belles.
Looks like it's going to try to walk up the coast to us.
Rat bastard. 

her: Doesn't look pretty.

me: No, it does not.
South Florida is getting hit hard tomorrow.
Doesn't help that it's only going ten mph.

her: No. From what I heard this morning it is supposed to slow down even more. They were estimating 2-4 mph movement.

me: I am going by the Noaa reported speed, from their weather satellites.

* * * * *

As you may have noted, I've posted the NOAA.gov images for the following dates and times.

Saturday, 24 September, 11 AM
 
Sunday, 25 September, 11 AM 

Monday, 26 September, 11 AM
Monday, 26 September, 11 pm
 
Tuesday, 27 September, 11 AM
Tuesday, 27 September, 11 pm
 
My plan is to stay in Savannah, as long as that is a viable option.
I'll continue to monitor the NOAA site twice daily to get the news I need.
I certainly feel for the folks in western Cuba, who caught Ian at hurricane force and found him reluctant to leave.
I do hope the folks in west central Florida, and across that belt, have better luck in getting Ian to move right along and back out to sea, as it'll be at Hurricane 4 strength at landfall.
And I hope it'll keep right on out into the Atlantic Ocean when it gets there.
Ian should steer clear of this city...
please.

Meanwhile, the yards have been cut - thank you, Smitty!
And I have been busy trimming trees in the back yard - no thanks, dumb squirrels.
My hope is that the three piles of yard debris get picked up in the morning.

3 comments:

faustina said...

My thanks to Jeff, in Michigan, for the texts last night to check on me!

My thanks to Paul, in California, for the texts last night to check on me!

I am so blessed to have so many who care for me!

i thank You, God.

faustina said...

And while I'm thinking about it...

so grateful that Lauri and Lynn Engler, in Orlando, came through it all safe and sound!

so grateful that Ursel and Dick Guy, in Tampa area, came through it all safe and sound!

faustina said...

Wondering what became of Ian?

Wednesday night, it was still a hurricane.
Then it was out of Florida and at sea.

Thursday morning, it was Tropical Storm Ian, with maximum sustained winds of 70 mph, traveling north on the Atlantic Ocean.

Thursday night, it was back to Hurricane status, at Category 1 with 80 mph winds before making landfall in South Carolina, avoiding Georgia altogether.

That's when I lost interest in it.
I did check Friday morning, to make sure it had not altered its course, and it had not, still heading for landfall on the upper coast of South Carolina, still having winds of Category 1 status.
Back to my regularly scheduled life!

i thank You, God.