Friday, May 19, 2023

off to the Emerald City!

It had been gray and drizzly all day -
even after an especially inspired breakfast -
oh! what to do, what to do?
After all, it was a Friday night.
Surely I was not going to stay in, right?
Right?
So, I forced myself 
to throw myself out -
OUT!!! of the house - 
and into the world!
(smile!)
"The Wizard Of Oz" was having its opening night and that musical was calling my name!
"Come to the Savannah Children's Theater,"
it entreated me,
"come and get your front row seat, Faustina!"
How did the musical know that's where I would sit?
Was it magical?
Of course!
Plus, the front row is my preferred vantage point for all of the shows at this venue!
Vivian, the woman who swaps tickets for programs, had even made sure I knew there was a seat waiting especially for me!
Hooray!
That way I could sing along with ev'ry song and encourage the kids on stage to give it their all!
(smile!)
But here's the thing: it wasn't just kids up there!
There were plenty of adults acting in this, too.
I guess they were probably raised on annual viewings of the movie version, just as I was.
I truly believe that I have "The Wizard Of Oz" indelibly etched into my DNA by now, if not running through my veins!
I have to wonder if Joel Cadoff -
the man still in his Tin Man costume after the show -
can say the same?
(smile!)
And how about Jack Webber?
He's the fellow in the Scarecrow costume for the post-show meet and greet and photo op.
He was most excellent at pratfalls, slipping and rolling and losing pieces of himself all over the stage!
I didn't get a photo of Joel Altherr in the Cowardly Lion costume, but I would imagine that was pretty warm.
I'd caught a glimpse of him as they came into the lobby, but I wasn't quite quick enough on the shutter button.
(smile!)
Oh, have I mentioned the witch?
The Wicked Witch of the West was played with great verve and vigor by the indomitable, effervescent, JinHi Soucy Rand!!!
What a deliciously evil cackle!!!
Mark even brought green roses to match the tone of her skin - lol!
And the fellow in green, who played Uncle Henry and the Oz doorman, was Al Williams, who had greeted me with a huge hug!!!
He even thanked me for being such an enthusiastic audience and having a great laugh of my own!
(smile!)
 
And I discovered why there was not an Odd Lot show scheduled for this third Saturday of the month.
They were all coming out to pose with JinHi!
They are probably taking turns, so she will always have someone besides her dear husband out there cheering her on.
Tonight, it was Justin Kent, his Valerie, and his tall, long-haired son, plus Erin of the Lucas.
And, taking the selfie, that's Celeste, who's been in many a play with the now-defunct Collective Face.
So good to see them again!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

Note to self: This performance was with the Yellow Cast.

Dig that.
They had so many kids wanting to be in the show that they have two different casts for the citizens of Munchkin Town!!!
Plus, they have two different Dorothys and two different Wizards.

So, when I go again...
which I most assuredly will do...
I need to be sure to catch a Green Cast show.
That means Friday, May 26; Saturday, May 27, for the matinee; then Saturday, June 3, for the matinee, as well as Sunday, June 4th's matinee.
Barbara has already said she'd go with me for a matinee!
Now, to see if Kaye and Sandy and Carolyn will go, too!