Thursday, May 25, 2023

avventura in Italia, attraverso il grande schermo

"Yo, g'friend! You going to cross the Atlantic again?"

I wish!
However, my A*List did me the next best thing: it served me up three movies set there!
 

"Que belissimo! But, are you sure those are the right trio?"
 
 LOL!
Yeah, I know that third one doesn't look quite right, does it?
Sure, it had a portion set on Earth, as well as some alternate version of this planet...
but none of that was on the European continent.
Let me explain.

"That would be helpful."

Wednesday I saw that first one, "Book Club: The Next Chapter".
What lovely scenes from Rome, Venice, and the Tuscany region!
And every time the camera panned anywhere near the Forum, I edged a little closer to the screen, looking for my temple...
but the camera moved so quickly, right?
I take that back: it isn't that the camera is zipping along, but the movie itself.
24 frames per second is a right fast clip!
So, I saw the Spanish Steps and the Coliseum and the Forum, all in a general sense, with little detail of the structures within.
And those narrow, winding lanes... and wide piazzas... just lovely!
I had hoped to catch more, but it was a nice overview of the other locales.
I just had one question: why did those women starring in it feel the need to dye their hair?
Jane Fonda was born 11 days after Mama, making her 85 years old.
Candice Bergen and Diane Keaton are both 77 years old.
Mary Steenburgen is the youngest of the four and she's 70 now.
Why did these accomplished women feel the need to lie to the camera about their ages?
Don Johnson (73, paired with Fonda), Craig T. Nelson (79, paired with Steenburgen), and Andy Garcia (67, paired with Keaton) felt no such need and wore their gray naturally.

"You know plenty of women who dye their hair on a regular basis."

I do, and I cannot believe the amount of money they throw in that direction.

"Hey, hold up there, missy.
Everyone has different priorities, so don't be casting stones.
You wouldn't want anyone to tell you what you're allowed to spend your money on, right?
Well, you can't tell others what to do with theirs."

Sure, no argument there.
My question is: in this day and age, why aren't more women embracing their normal hair color and not trying to be deceptive?
I guess I understand when folks are working, they don't want to be subject to ageism.
But those in the film world have a golden opportunity to set an example, to show that "older" is not synonymous with invisible.
That's all.
Take Helen Mirren.
She's 78 and has worn her hair white for many years now.

"Yes, but she also has played a lot of older characters and done so with aplomb...
oh...
I catch your drift.
She could have chosen to disguise her age, but she has accepted it wholeheartedly."

Exactly.
She's in "Fast X", by the way, again as the mom of Jason Statham's hitman.
Rita Moreno, 91 years old, was in that, too, as the grand matriarch of Vin Diesel's family - oh, and he, like Statham, is also 55 and born in 1967, like my youngest brother.
So, those three men will all be 56 by year's end.
 
"Okay, okay, back to the movie, eh?"
 
Sure, I was just setting the stage, putting things into perspective.
I will say that this episode of "The Fast And The Furious" pretty well demands that viewers be familiar with the other episodes.
So many characters from the past, even those who died in previous films or for real, have guest appearances here.
Seriously, you can't hardly keep track of who is on which side and, by the end, there was some debate over who was even still alive for the 11th and 12th upcoming sequels.
But the best part to me?
All the scenes in Rome!!!
That city was filmed so lovingly and for such a long time in the movie!
Again, I found myself searching out those places where I had trod, back in 2002 and 2012, lingering on those sights as long as I could, and enjoying the memories of the good times I'd shared there with the ex and with the Armstrong nurses -
ah, que bella!
 
"Hey, that's good that you get to travel for free in the cinema!"
 
You betcha!
I only wish I could rack up some frequent flyer miles there.
(smile!)
 
"So, what's up with Italy in the "Guardians of the Galaxy" film?" 

Not a single blessed thing!
LOL!
Here's what happened.
I couldn't decide if I was going for a doubleheader or not today.
I'd walked out the cinema and wandered about, debating with myself about whether I should go for third to fill out my dance card, or be content with only two this week...
and, by the time I made up my mind, the movie I wanted to see had already started and the machine wouldn't let me buy a ticket for it.
So, I told Sean and Raven to just give me a ticket for the later showing, but tell me which screening room had the 6:30 showing of "The Little Mermaid".
Instead, they gave me a ticket for the "GOTG:V3", but sent me to the Big D for the one I wanted to see.
Marvelous!
And I really cannot tell what I missed in that 20-minute gap.
All the songs I knew, and I few I didn't, came up with me there.
Odd, right?

"A bit, but why did you say this was in Italy?
Is it not animated?"

Oh, no, it's live action!
Even the animals - Sebastian, Flounder, the seagull - they're real, not animated.
And the setting is mostly Sardinia, Italy - just gorgeous!
Oh...
one thing...
don't tell my first niece I've seen this, okay?
I'm supposed to see it with her and her girls on Tuesday.
(smile!)

"Sure, sure.
It's hard to catch all the action when you have near-constant movement going on.
Enjoy when you see it again!"

No comments: