Thursday, December 14, 2023

choirs and Christmas

They go together so beautifully, don't they?
Even from my seat in the very last row, "The Sounds of Winter" rang out clearly.
For "Betelehemu", a traditional Nigerian carol, the boys choir was flanked on both sides by the many singers in the girls choir of Savannah Arts Academy.
Such a lovely melody it had!
I think my favorite part of the choir's portion of the free concert was near the start, though.
A Santa and four - or maybe five? - chipmunks sang tunes that everyone was sure to know: "Christmas Time Is Here" and "Carol Of The Bells"!
Every time I here that first one, an image pops up of the Peanuts gang skating on a frozen pond.
(smile!)
During the intermission, I decided to walk around and try to warm up, as I was still very cold from the walk from my car.
I was able to find a seat in the first row, closer to the stage and far from the doors - beautiful!
That was a good move, as I was able to enjoy the enthusiasm on the conductor's face!
The SAA Orchestra split into different conformations as they performed in the second half, starting with four violoncellos for the first number ("O Come, O Come Emanuel") right up to the full contingent for "Greensleeves" (more familiar as "What Child Is This"), then waning and waxing for other songs.
I think, though, it was the "Overture On Jewish Themes" that had the conductor smiling the most!
I know I was dancing in my seat for "Hava Nagila", and mouthing the words, to the amusement of the teens sitting behind me.
(smile!)
I left as the choir retook the stage, this time with the orchestra, to finish out this two-hour gift to Savannah with a medley of Christmas songs.
With my recent A-fib scare, I had a mask with me, but it was one of the children's masks and kept closing off my breath as I walked.
It really was not appropriate for keeping cold air out of my lungs.
Trust me: error noted.
Now, to warm up with some free Peacock!
Thanks, Comcast, for this reward!

No comments: