Sunday, December 31, 2023

counting my blessings, instead of sheep

Back in September, I'd counted up the number of plays and musicals that I've seen this year.
That total was twenty out of a whopping thirty-eight events.
20 out of 38.
Wow.
Since then, I've added another 18 events during these few months.
That doesn't mean I've only been to 56 events this year.
My walls don't include the nine days of concerts I ushered at the Savannah Music Festival, nor the movies seen via Cinema Savannah, nor any events at the Jewish Film Festival.
That would easily be another twenty, probably more, to that 56 with programs.
 
My walls?
That's right.
I've been posting the playbills and setlists on my dining room walls.
They surround me in the room where I spend much of my waking hours.
Why there?
They assure me that I'm still a busy, vibrant woman.
(smile!)
They also confirm that I am supporting the culture of this town I love so.
Even when the event is a free one, my attendance is vital to those performers.
Of the seventeen events on this wall, nine were free.
That's slightly more than 50%, which is good for my budget.
(smile!)

On this wall are 13 events, all attended in the last three months.
Eight of those are plays and musicals - and yes, I count "Nutcracker" in that category.
After all, it's a story set to dance, not simply a series of separate pieces.
Only five of the thirteen were free, though.
And there were others I would have liked to attend, but my budget didn't stretch that far.
Even so, that meant I saw roughly one event per week... very nice!
(smile!)
Then there's this wall.

This is where I first started hanging up programs, to light up my winter months and cold nights, to stoke the fires for culture that I crave.
Of the 26 remembrances thereon, the five on the top row are to be included with those attended these past three months, and four of those events in that top row were free.
Indeed, a total of ten performances on that wall were seen for free - well done!
I hadn't been concentrating on free events then, but I had sprinkled some in.
Mostly, though, I was trying to support local theatre as they recover from the pandemic.
Savannah Children's Theatre ramped up their game, as they provided five of the fifteen plays and musicals on that wall.
That's a full third, from a single troupe!
For the year, they provided ten of the plays and musicals I attended - that's almost an event every month!
The Masquers had four plays and musicals, the next highest group I attended.
Savannah Stage Company provided three for me, as did Savannah Repertory Theatre and Savannah Arts Academy.
The Rambam middle school students gave me two more, then I had a few stray performances from six less-familiar troupes.
Plus, I was treated to two operas!!!
What a good bounty!
After three years of mostly online entertainment, it's good to be part of a live audience, and fortunate to still have so many performers still in business.
Yes, I am most definitely still a busy, vibrant woman...
and that's a blessing.
i thank You, God.

No comments: