Sunday, December 10, 2023

UP trio for Mama's bday 86

UP Faith & Family had some free comedy movies this week, so that's how I spent much of this day.
The photo is actually from the third film of my film festival, a fun modern twist called "We're Scrooged".
That robot ghost of Christmas Present looked a bit like MAV1S, but this one's name is Joy.
Not that she brought that to the two former lovers, both at their high school reunion hoping to make business deals with alumni, while professing not to have feelings for each other anymore.
Yeah, right!
She still wears the necklace he gave her in high school, and he still sports the watch she gave him back then!
Like I said, a fun modern twist on a classic carol.
I know Mama would have liked it!
In fact, she would have liked the other two as well.
"Yellowstone Romance" wasn't holiday themed, but it was fun and quite beautifully filmed.
The action took place on a Dude Ranch, with a city girl hosting a bachelorette party there for her bestie and their gay friend, to try to dissuade her from marrying a rancher.
Take "City Slickers" and pretty it up and that's kinda sorta this one!
That was actually the second one I viewed of the trio chosen.
The first was "Dashing Home For Christmas", which I very much liked!
It was a spin on "Planes, Trains, And Automobiles", with a female executive trying to get home but missing her taxi to the airport when a laid-back salesman unwittingly swipes it.
Then she gets to the airport to find she and the salesman are both going to Seattle, or rather, they are both trying to get there.
But you can already guess where this is going!
The plane gets grounded because of weather, so they both stay in the same hotel because she has lost her wallet; then she tries to rent a car but cannot without ID so the salesman ends up driving with her in the last car; but a flat tire leads to another overnight stay to wait for the train the next morning... quite fun!
 
Yes, I know Mama was right there, laughing along with me!
That's why I didn't go out to Greenwich today.
It was a wet and blustery day.
The one thing this Sunday had going for it was the temperature, which was in the low 70's.
Even with that warmth, I decided that staying home to celebrate her day was the best option.
I only ventured out of the house for one event: the Asbury Memorial Christmas party.
No one seemed to notice I was almost thirty minutes late.
That's fine, as all the tables had served themselves.
I was able to take my time and find the unexpected treasures in the bounty on the buffet: hot chili to warm my bones; kale salad with sweet apples and tart cherries to brighten my palate; a mini slider, a la Monte Cristo, as a novel surprise; and a piece of pecan pie and nibble of fruitcake to finish with holiday favorites.
Yes, exactly what was needed.
i thank You, God.
 
Even better, I sat in the back, the only open table, with three older women I didn't know.
Candace joined us briefly, which was nice, and I talked with the photographer about his can of Vernor's ginger ale.
I stayed through Santa's visit, visiting with the three ladies.
And when the call came to "feel free to take some food home", I made my move and did just that, slipping out with hardly a ripple.
Now, more of that delicious kale salad awaits another meal, as well as nine boiled shrimp, four mini croissants, and two slices of ham.
Then I finished the UP film festival.
Happy birthday, Mama.

1 comment:

faustina said...

Lest mav1s has been forgotten...

https://hindsightvisionfromtheocean.blogspot.com/2020/11/when-mav1s-just-wont-do.html