Saturday, December 30, 2023

open house with theatre folk!


Not at my house, but at the one with Barbara and Chris Gooby!

When I saw the invite on fb, I had expected it would be mostly church members.

After all, that's primarily how I know them: we attend Asbury Memorial Church.

I also see them at plays and Savannah Music Festival concerts; rather, I did pre-pandemic.

That curtailed a lot of our bumping into each other.

However, I resolved to try to become more involved with others at Asbury, and how better to do so than at a holiday gathering?

When I arrived, the house was already rather full, with folks coming and going and staying and talking.

I spoke to the Prokops as they were getting into their car and we all wished each other a "happy new year" and pat told me to enjoy myself.

(smile!)

Genie and Danny Lewis and Hai were all clustered in the front foyer, so I scooted past them and wandered toward the living room.

That's when I spotted those Dia De Los Muertos nutcrackers - fabulous!!!

Mike Metheny - who always calls me his karaoke buddy - came up and talked as he refreshed his drink, then he returned to the group he and his wife were chatting with.

I noticed the Gooby refrigerator was slathered with magnets - like mine! - so I popped into the kitchen and perused the cartoons held captive there.

Very nice!

They like a lot of the same ones I do, including "Calvin And Hobbes"!!!


Going around the corner led into the dining room, and Genie was there, without her entourage - so I grabbed the chance to talk to her about the barefoot hobo's rudeness.

Next thing I know, he's talking around me, for the first time in at least seven years!

By that time, Danielle had arrived, so she and I immediately hung together!

Then Monica McDermott, the birthday girl, showed up, so we all chatted!

That's when I realized that a lot of these folk had been in plays together.

Small world!

And before I knew it, I'd been there almost three hours, noshing and gabbing!

I do hope it's warm enough for me to go to church tomorrow...

Danielle may start coming there and I'd like to be part of the welcoming committee.

(smile!)

No comments: