Saturday, December 9, 2023

another musical and another dance!

That made the 5th and 6th holiday events since this month began!
Unless I count each day of the "Christmas With The King" individually -
then yesterday's musical and today's dance would be 7th and 8th.
Hmmm... I'll have to give that issue some thought.
Meanwhile, I can most def say they were a musical and a dance!
 

The musical was "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer", performed by the Savannah Children's Theatre, but with a few tweaks from last year.
The first concerned Sam the Snowman.
He's supposed to sing, he's always sung... but, not this time!
The young man portraying him has puberty voice, so holding a tune without cracking is simply beyond his means.
So, he lip-synced while others did the tunes alloted to that character.
(smile!)
The second change was the gender of Moonracer.
Heretofore, the title was "King" and the gender "male"... but, not this time!
A girl with long, curly, blonde tresses played the ruler of the Island of Misfit Toys.
As I told her after the show, that made her "Queen" Moonracer!
(smile!)

Those changes made the show unique, so that worked for me, and everyone else!
I had been pleasantly surprised to find seats still available for the Friday evening show.
I'd sped over from the low head-count Smiths & Kamerons Friday Fiesta - Laura, Betsy, Jimmy, and Rebecca were missing - in hopes of procuring a ticket, and did so easily!
Hooray!
So, why this photo of food?
That's Tacos Pancho, the dish Laura usually orders.
Her mom fell and broke a hip, so Laura had to go up to Missouri to tend to her (and attend a brother-in-law's funeral).
I posted this on fb to let her know she was missed.
She liked that I did that.
(smile!)
 
I liked that I caught the SavChTh play last night!
That opened up today's afternoon for another Christmas show!
"The Nutcracker" had a matinee performance that I longed to see... so now I could!
The kids in the Dance Department at the Savannah Arts Academy put it on this weekend.
[Note to self: Don't wear a pocketless dress unless I bring a clear bag for those items that usually are carried in pockets.
My butterfly tote bag nearly had to stay on the lobby floor!
Fortunately, I was early, so I was able to take it out to my car.]
What a delight to see this ballet live again!
It's just been years... well, not including the one watched on TV on Thursday.
That was good, but I didn't have to leave my house to see it, so it isn't one of my holiday-themed events that I'm counting.
Hey, my little game, my little rules!
(smile!)
Back to "The Nutcracker" seen today... which had its own unique twists.
That included a gender twist for one of the antagonist.
The Mouse wearing the crown also sported a black tutu!
That made it a Mouse Queen, not the usual Mouse King.
(smile!)
Here's what I continue to enjoy about this ballet: the dolls that dance in Clara's dream sequence vary from one show to another.
For this performance, one change had Little Bo-Peep searching for her sheep!
I kid you not!
(Yes, this looks like a pun, but baby sheep are lambs, not kids.)
It was an absolutely adorable sequence, with the four sheep - plus a sweet little black sheep! - coming around while she sought them.
Adorable!!!
Another change involved the acrobats/clowns: they came from under a giant circus tent that served as the pants of a gigantic clown that poured drinks for himself as the four dancers entertained us.
Very amusing indeed!
My favorite, as always, was the snake charmer and snake routine.
The young man was very adept in his dance, but he was also quite strong, as he had to be; the young woman performing the sinuous movements of the cobra was taller than him and weighed more than the dainty, short lasses usually in ballets.
Together, they were quite an impressive pair!
I do wish they had more stage time.
(smile!)
 
It was all perfectly timed to have me home for the hour-long version of "The Carol Burnett Show", this time with Glen Campbell on to help her with her ukelele. 
Hahahaha!
So fun to see him again!
I even had po' girl ceviche for slunch as I watched.
That's a treat I don't eat very often these days, but today felt like spring and got into the mid-70's, allowing me to open the house earlier.
Bliss!!!
And then guess what?
The Universe gave me an inside joke!
"Keeping Up Appearances" aired "Skis", from s5 e5, with poor Richard receiving snow skis, of all things, from his wife for his birthday.
LOL!
That wasn't the joke, though it sure was funny.
Here's the joke: the vicar was working in his garden, singing...
ready for this?...
"Rhinestone Cowboy"!!!
Hahahaha! Hahaha!!!
(smile!)

No comments: