Monday, December 4, 2023

songs with VOICE!

I've wanted to be part of this special holiday event for the sometime -

at last I was!

"Songs And Stories In The Squares" was a joint venture by the Savannah VOICE Festival and the Savannah Heritage Foundation.

Starting in my favorite place to park - Columbia Square - I missed the story but caught Chad Sonka's solo.

"I'll Be Home For Christmas" was bright and cheery this time!

Then Peter Lake joined Maria Zouves on the green.

They chatted for a bit, as he no longer lives here, so that was nice.

Then they graced us with a song I'd never heard:

"In The Bleak Mid-Winter".

It isn't a holiday tune, nor is it as dreary as its title.

Then Maria sang from the opera about Anna Hunter.

(I wanted to see that opera in 2016, but that fell on a day when I was riding the shuttle to Charleston, for the carpal tunnel tests.) 

Next, we walked north to Warren Square.

Kristen - possibly her name - gave us the backstory, then Peter Lake gave us "O Holy Night" under the crystal blue sky.

Such a lovely song!

Right after, Maria and Chad joined him.

This time, we had a sing-along of "Jingle Bells" - nice of them to include our voices!

We may have been silent on that second verse, though - lol!

Then the trio gave us a medley of "Walkin' In A Winter Wonderland" and "Let It Snow".

I wonder if those songs are sung in the Southern Hemisphere?

I rather doubt it, as they have summer Christmases!

Next, we walked east to Washington Square.

Peter sang "Counting My Blessings", a favorite of his.

Then Maria talked of "Peace, Peace", written by Sherrill Milnes' cousin, with the trio then singing the tune.

Very nice!

Then Maria and Peter sang it again as Chad led us in singing "Silent Night", with the two songs blending and complementing each other in the open air - 

beautiful.

Such a lovely way to end this afternoon stroll!

This was a definite blessing!

No comments: