Friday, December 1, 2023

hey! i've been on this street before!

I had arrived early to downtown Brunswick; in fact, I was there more than three hours before the first event of the "Christmas With The King" three-day festival.

Of course, part of the reason for the early arrival was not wanting to drive somewhere new in the dark and part of the reason was the real possibility of getting lost.

As it was, I arrived without mishap and found a choice spot to park, even getting permission to stay in that block during the upcoming First Friday Festival.

Oh, very nice - a bonus event, and it was free!

Even the parking was free!!!

So I passed the time walking up and down on Newcastle Street, from one end to the other, mostly checking out the food trucks and trying to decide what dinner I wanted.

Some of the restaurants sounded familiar, but I passed that off until I saw the sign: Ritz.

Holy cow, I know this street!!!

That theatre is the location for the three Georgia Elvis Festivals that I've attended, and I've eaten in those places passed along the way!

Feeling much more sure of myself, I was ready to eat.

After two more walks along the six blocks, checking out the food trucks scattered along the way, I ended up at the place I'd first chosen: Papa's Backyard BBQ.

Ten bucks for a grilled sausage, beans, and a soda?

Definitely the best deal on the street - and tasty, too!

Plus, I was treated to some fine music as I ate.

A woman I'd met earlier in Jekyll Square, while we both munched on free popcorn, had told me the local band tuning up was really good.

By the time I sat to eat, the Squirtguns were playing and what they specialized in was 80's rock - woohoo!

I even danced a little bit for "I Am Superman", "Talk Dirty To Me", and "Money For Nothing" - superb!!!

I certainly got my motor running with them!

Now, to move along to the Brunswick Actors Theatre and check in for my evening with Elvis!!!

What a great birthday65 vacation this has already been... and it's only going to get better!

Woohoo!!!

1 comment:

faustina said...

As I found out on Saturday, the lead singer of Squirtguns - the guy in front of the drummer - owns SoGlo Guitar Gallery, just around the corner.
How about that?
And I figured out what SoGlo means: South of Gloucester (Street).
Nice!

https://www.sogloguitargallery.com/