Tuesday, December 12, 2023

marquee film festival


Yep, it was a film festival, even if it was only three movies.
Honestly, I wouldn't have thought to call it such until I saw this lineup when I pressed the "Last" button on the TV remote.
That's why I took the photo, especially as there were two of my favorite fellows there!
I'd never heard of Marquee TV, but I rather like it, as it's crammed full of Shakespeare, classical concerts, and theatre works I'd never heard of.
Then again, I was only in middle school when those first two came out.
 
"The Scarecrow", with my favorite hopeful romantic, came out in 1971. 
Gene Wilder was 38 in this movie, in which a witch brings a scarecrow to life, as Lord Ravensbane (very nice inside joke with that pun!), to get back at the man who had once courted her and left her high and dry when she got pregnant.
Now, that Justice has a lovely niece and the witch is determined to have her wed the scarecrow... but her plan goes awry, as Ravensbane falls in love with the girl and doesn't want to have her tied to his fake self unless he can be a "real" man.
Yes, quite a lovely filming of a four-act play.
Ah, with a touch of Christmas: a corncob pipe is what brought the scarecrow to life!
Such delightful whimsy!

"Steambath" was from 1972, featuring Bill Bixby, the bare-chested fellow - RAWR!
Here's the thing: I was only 14 when this came out, so I had only ever seen him in "My Favorite Martian", in which he was a newspaper reporter.
It wasn't until later that "The Magician" caught my eye!
Anyway, here he is and guess how old he is?
38.
What a trip that the stars in both movies were the same age!!!
Here, he spends his time trying to find a way back to his life, once he realizes that this was a holding place for the dead until time for them to move on.
Very interesting conversations between him and Morte, the Puerto Rican who runs the steam room and is also the janitor... like in "Bruce Almighty".
I definitely enjoyed this movie!
 
A concert film rounded out the selection for this trio.
"John Wilson's Summer Delights", released the first year of the pandemic, was bright and breezy, absolutely perfect to bring a breath of warmth today!
And guess how old this British conductor was?
48.
You thought I was going to say 38, didn't you?
(smile!)
 
Lest you think I spent the entire day in front of the telly, I did not.
It was, after all, Tina Tuesday, and that called for something memorable.
While these three screenings were that, I also marked the day with a trip to the Post Office to send packages to Alabama and California, as well as little angels to Pennsylvania, Nebraska, and two sites in Georgia, Augusta and Midway.
Plus, I went to a Fathom Event, "Christmas With The Chosen: Holy Night".
That was at NCG, so it only cost me seven bucks.
Such a nice combination of music videos and two short, older, films blended together!
I do hope Tony and Laura, and perhaps even Smitty and Mary, will go see it, too.

I've also polished off all except the little croissants from the Asbury Christmas party.
All of the shrimp were cut up and doused in milk, with a bit of lemon pepper and canned vegetables.
What an excellent Shrimp and Corn Chowder!
(smile!)
That was last night's dinner.
One slice of ham was shredded and used for pasta soup to warm me up yesterday morning, with a hit of fiesta lime seasoning to wake me up, too.
The second slice was used in this morning's pasta soup.
That one just had mustard to season it, like my hotdog soup.
Tonight, I combined all of that kale salad, with its minced apples and sliced onions and tart dried cherries, with a freshly diced honey crisp apple, some chopped walnuts, and basmati rice.
So... very... good!!!
I'd like to say I had leftovers of it...
but I did not.
It was almost like having dinner and dessert at the same time!
(smile!)

No comments: