Thursday, December 28, 2023

peacock and amc

While doing my sunroom groove, I'd read the current AARP - for a change! - and heard about two movies I really wanted to see.
Hence, the Peacock Film Festival began!
That was back on the 14th, so I guess I've just been slack about writing.
No, that's not quite right.
The physicist had come over for pizza and a movie and he chose "The Defiant Ones", which turned out to be a miniseries, and turned out to be on Tubi.
I had been misled by Google into believing it was a Peacock original, which really threw a monkey wrench into our evening.
It all worked out fine, though.
We watched two of the four parts on the 19th.
That was enough for me to realize that the topic - rap and hiphop, with Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine - was one that I've since recommended to the ex, as he gets that free channel.
Anyway, I was waiting to write after the bfe and I finished that miniseries.
That will be next year... and not on Peacock... so, no need to wait.
(smile!)
So, just what did I watch in the Peacock Film Festival?
The first was a brand-new Christmas movie!!!
I must say, the films I've seen lately with Melissa McCarthy certainly show that she is much more talented than "Bridesmaids" would lead a person to believe.
She's the star in "Genie", released unwittingly by a dad on the fritz with his wife and daughter, who have moved out.
He chose his job over the daughter's birthday.
Oops!
The second movie from Peacock was "Mr. Monk's Last Case: The Movie", also brand-new.
Hey, I'm a big Tony Shalhoub fan, y'all, so I jumped at this chance to see him again!
Natalie was in town, as was Randy, for the wedding of Trudy's daughter... say what???
Yes, that was the setup.
The issue was the groom, who died during a bungee jump gone awry, and the main suspect is a rich Elon Musk-type guy.
And guess what Leland does for a living now?
He runs the rich guy's security detail, who are all big fans of Randy's music.
Lol!
Nice of them to throw that quirky flashback to us fans of the series!
Those were both Peacock Originals, made specifically for that streaming service.
So, what else fell into that classification?
"The Continental: From The World Of John Wick", that's what.
I've seen all four of those movies with Keanu Reeves, so I know how the hotel figures into those storylines.
The show turned out to be a miniseries, but just three parts, like Wick's well-tailored suits.
(smile!)
The 16th was dreary and drizzly, so I stayed in... and binged on all three!
Partly, I liked the story and I liked Mel Gibson's over-the-top role as the guy in charge of who came and who stayed at the hotel for hitmen.
Mostly, though, I was in love with Ray McKinnon.
Seriously.
Such a lyrical, smooth voice...
such empathetic, laughing eyes, that now needed glasses...
such a cool drink of water, with great manners for an aging hitman...
oh, yeah, "Gene Jenkins" was an incredible character!
RAWR!!!
(smile!)

Whew... let me stumble back up to the present... that A*List thing... okay!
I caught Jason Momoa in the latest adventure, "Aquaman And The Lost Kingdom", even managing to see it on the Big-D screen.
I noticed that the redhead got second billing, so I guess she and the director still have something going on, because she certainly isn't that good on screen.
Fortunately, the majority of the screen time goes to the quartet of muscle men and their super cool rides, be they seahorses or sporty waterproof vehicles.
If it hangs around another few weeks, I just may see it again!
"Ferrari", however, was a "one and done" film for me.
It's a pretty good biopic, but there's a race wreck that had the audience gasping -
and, yes, it was that horrific and extremely graphic.
The bulk of the movie was about his wife and his mistress and his life between them.
Yeah, one and done.
And that blank space?
That should have a violet hue, as I saw "The Color Purple" to close out my A*List for 2023.
I hadn't really intended to, but Drew Barrymore had Oprah Winfrey on her morning show and that made the decision for me.
All she had to say was one word: musical.
Musical!!!
And what an uplifting, inspirational musical it was, too!
That was on the Big D, not that it needed to be, but I'm still glad to have seen in on that huge silver screen...
and to have had a peanut gallery there making comments along the way.
LOL!
Some folks just don't get out much, and when they do, they lose track of the fact that they aren't in their living room, on the couch, talking back to the TV.
LOL!
Nice way to end the year with that purple one!
(smile!)

No comments: