Saturday, December 2, 2023

did you know a cello could sing?


I wouldn't have thought it possible until today.
The Silva family offered a free concert today, in honor of their son who was in the National Guard and leaving soon for Kuwait.
Francisco Silva is a world-renowned pianist, famously performing all 32 sonatas of Beethoven, and is scheduled to repeat that feat this year here in Brunswick.
Yes, that's right: in little old Brunswick, Georgia.
Moreover, that's to be done right here in the Brunswick Actors Theatre, a venue which holds less than 200 people.
I suspect it will be standing room only for those fortunate enough to get tickets.
You see, he is of the same profound reverence afforded to Sherrill Milnes, and, like him, uses his talents to operate a school with his wife to train others in his art.
Here's a difference, though: Silva is decades younger than the opera singer, so he will be able to teach many more his Silva piano method.
Wow.
I knew naught of him before this free event, titled simply "A Classical Afternoon with The Silvas", posted on the SoGlo Gallery website.
Did I mention that it was free?
I had hoped to find something to fill part of the day before my main event tonight, and there it was, and it even had a few empty seats to reserve.
Wow.
The Universe knew this was my birthday65 vacation and made sure I could be there.
Wow.
 
What was the connection between the Silvas and Lynda, the woman in charge of the gallery and attached theatre?
I have no idea... but I'm so glad I was there!
The concert was scheduled for mid-afternoon and my plan had been to dine afterward.
What a pleasant surprise to find a free reception there!
That allowed me to create my own temporary masterpiece from the colorful food on the tables.
Very nice, and appetizing, too!
Speaking of art, here are some of the works gracing the walls.
Most were 5x7 or thereabouts, all painted by Elizabeth McMillan, an artist centered in New Orleans.
Notice anything odd about the subject matter?
The still life paintings glorify onions and garlic!!!
They're quite pretty, too, and there were probably 50 framed pieces.
I grabbed one of the price sheets, playing with the idea of purchasing one as a memento.
These ranged from $600 to $950... so, nope.
But they certainly were pretty and would have worked in my house.
(smile!)


Back to the concert with the singing instrument, shall we?
That's Francisco, with Mireille, at the piano, while Dorian plays his cello.
The scene on stage varied throughout the concert, sometimes with all three, sometimes with just the married couple, and even several songs with Dorian and his dad.
I very much liked the Mozart piece, partly because it had been written as a four-hand composition, so Amadeus could play piano with his sister - such a nice tidbit to know about the light and lilting Sonata in B-flat major K. 358.
Francisco played the piece with Mireille, of course, and I watched the reflection of their hands in the polished wood above the keyboard - very nice!
Even from my ticketed seat, GG-4, about halfway back from the stage.
(smile!)
However, the two pieces that opened after intermission were the ones I treasured.
Those had Francisco and Dorian only and were two Christmas songs I knew well: "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" and Schubert's "Ave Maria".
At first, I expected Mireille to join them, as the singer.. but she did not.
Still, I had the impression that a singer was, indeed, present... 
then, I realized that the cello was the songbird!
What a sweet sound it had!
How nice to hear its versatility in play on this dreary day!
(smile!)
Oh, did I not mention that a fine rain was continuously falling today and had been all morning?
Notice that I have my "Love of Three Oranges" umbrella firmly in hand.
I walked up and down the block a bit before the concert, then again afterward.
I had hoped for the Christmas Parade between my two events, but the rain had postponed the floats and visit from Santa to next weekend.
That's okay, the flower box was quite pretty!
And posted on the door of the Main Street Frame Shop was a local Golden Isles variation on "12 Days of Christmas"! 
 
"12 couples dining,
11 authors signing,
10 shrimp boats trolling,
9 trolleys rolling,
8 tourists jiving,
7 turtles diving,
6 snowy egrets,
5 Golden Isles,
4 cormorants,
3 marsh hens, 
2 pelicans,
and a heron in a palm tree."


That certainly made me laugh out loud!
Pausing to read that - and make written note of it - made me realize how hungry I was from all the walking after the concert.
Time for some dinner!
My choice was Fox's Pizza Den, having just overheard two New Yorkers talking about how good the pies were.
True that was, even without cheese... and pretty, too!
So wonderful to find art everywhere I go!
(smile!)

No comments: