Sunday, December 31, 2023

singing at last sunday of 2023!

See?

That's even what I wrote when I signed the attendance log in the chat on youTube!

Folks had said to me yesterday at the Open House that they'd see me at church, but I'd replied "Only if the weather is warmer than 50 F!"

I think they thought I might be kidding.

Nope!

Gotta keep my warm heart away from the cold!

By the time I would have been leaving for Asbury Memorial, the temperature was still in the 40's.

So, I was one of the 50+ online attendees, arriving in time to sing "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing".

Marvelous!!!

A little while later, we had two more of Rev. Billy's favorite Christmas carols!

Those were "Away In A Manger" and "What Child Is This" - very nice!

Then Billy told us one of his personal "for want of a nail" stories.

I really love those, as I have a few of my own.

They are our own little Rube Goldberg devices, to marvel at as the pieces fall into place...
coincidences. 

Right place, right time.

This one began with his friend, Courtland, inviting him along to a luncheon with an aging actress, Mae Questel.

She was the voice of Betty Boop and Olive Oyl, among others, once upon a time; more recently, she played Aunt Bethany in "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation".

As the story went, Billy had gratefully accepted the offer of luncheon, as he was a starving young actor and always liked free food.

(smile!)

So, the hostess asked Billy if he had an agent to help him get auditions, and, as he did not, she set him up with her agent.

That's how Billy received the call to audition for "Pirates of Penzance"...
where he met his future wife, Cheri...
with whom he has four children...
necessitating his having a steady job...
which he did, via the ministry...
landing a part-time position at Asbury Memorial UMC that became full-time...
and has helped two churches become beacons that shine a light for all people. 

What a marvelous story to end 2023!

I'm so glad I was there for it!

No comments: