Saturday, October 14, 2023

two free musicals and (a nearly) free concert!

Remember David Poole, the director and ringleader at Collective Face Theatre Ensemble?
Well, when the pandemic rendered that troupe null and void, he was hired as theatre director at Savannah Arts Academy - yes, the very place where three of my nieces (Christina, Emily, and Hope) went to high school years ago.
Now, he's taking this bunch of young thespians to a competition!!!
To give them practice, he's holding three free performances at the Kennedy Building on the Savannah State University campus - the old stomping grounds of CFTE.
Small world!
I found out on fb and let mi amigas know, but they couldn't go on a Thursday, choosing Friday night instead.
No worries, I went on Thursday and had a front row seat to a play straight out of the medieval ages, complete with "traveling players"!
"The Love Of Three Oranges" was billed as "An Italian Comic Fairy Tale", and was written in the 17th century. (We have Giambattista Basile to thank for collecting such tales, and his sisters for printing them in a book.)
Such fun this was, and all done in only 45 minutes!
That's the stipulation of the contest: completion, including set-up and take-down, in that time.
That means the story moved right along, full of humor and deception and love and even a giant ogre!
What's up with the umbrella?
Well, it was a rainy night, so Dan Vaden Chevrolet gave each and everyone of us that free memento!!!
Kudos to the kids... and break legs, y'all!!!
(smile!)
 
So, wondering why I couldn't go on Friday with my friends for the play?
I already had my concert ticket!!!
I'd had it for several weeks, and AMC wasn't doing refunds or exchanges.
That's okay, I really like the 33-year-old artist and her music videos... 
and I like her even more now!
So many costume changes, she could give Reba McEntire a run for best Entertainer!
So many instruments she played, including an painted upright piano, acoustic and electric guitars, and a classical piano draped with Spanish moss and lichens and such!
So many albums she pulled the music from, beginning with Fearless, morphing right into Evermore, getting sassy and loud for Red, dialing it back for Folklore, then jamming for her birth year 1989, before diving (literally) into the depths of Midnights... wow!
I spent the entire time - almost three hours - dancing in my seat!
Sure, there were a lot of songs I didn't know, but there were others, such as "Love Story", that I've sung multiple times for karaoke nights.
There were even a couple I knew from "Sing 2"!!!
And there were several that I love from their music videos, which she was mindful of, being sure to have that same flavor for the costumes of her and her dancers.
Honestly, I just may have to see this again!
I could even count it as an A*List, as it will only cost me three bucks, thanks to all the Bonus money I have built up.
Yes, I just may do that!
Technically, AMC isn't allowing A*List to be used for "Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour"... but that didn't stop me from seeing it this time, and won't stop me should I go again! 
(smile!)

As for tonight, my entertainment was again free all the way, as it had been on Thursday.
AARP Theatre showed a football musical... seriously, it was all about that sport, and even had the actors in those uniforms and playing ball on set!
This reminded me a lot of "Lombardi", done a few years ago by SavRepTh, but that had been strictly a play.
"Something In The Game" was a musical - a musical about football!!!
This time, the coach was Knute Rockne and the team was Notre Dame's Fighting Irish...
but the story was as much about George Gipp as about Rockne.
Everyone has heard the line at some point: "Win one for The Gipper!"
Well, George is the one they're talking about, an All-American star that essentially drank himself to death at 25 years old, even though the actual cause was pneumonia.
Rather sad, for all involved, but especially for the coach, who saw in that player the son he had wanted, as well as the faults he himself once had.
What an incredibly well-told and well-acted story - bravo to all!
What a nice way to end my trio of free cultural events!
I wonder what I'll find for next week?
(smile!)

1 comment:

David Poole said...

Champions!!! THE LOVE OF THREE ORANGES takes home the GHSA Region 3AA One Act Play trophy, 1st Place!!!
And now onto State!