Thursday, October 5, 2023

banana ball, 2024

"I thought you weren't going to do that anymore."
 
Honestly, I don't plan to. But I did tune in for the "2024 Banana Ball World Tour Draft Day", as they're calling it, to see what's in store for next summer. It was to begin at 7 PM, but there were already more than 13,000 tuned in to the youTube channel. And when it began, it was clear that Grayson Stadium was full, too.
 
"That's surprising. I didn't hear that anything was scheduled for there tonight." 

Nor did I. They had a big bandshell on the diamond, with folks in the stands and on the sidelines. And they made sure all the staff and players got to take their turns on the stage. They made a production out of announcing each and every game's location this coming year.

"Well, I'm sure they wanted to show off how big a staff they have."

Oh, for sure. The Banana Nanas got to introduce a site. My favorite catcher, Bill Leroy, had a turn, as did the pitching coach in the cowboy hat, Kyle Luigs. Even the Man-Nanas got to be part of the show!
 
"Any real surprises?"
 
You bet. I guess having ESPN involved has given them some credibility with MLB. The Savannah Bananas will have games on several major league baseball fields!!! That will give them more visibility to more folks, too.
"So, I guess there are more 'Challenger' teams for them to play against?"
 
I guess so. I do know the Party Animals will be their opponents for some 'away' games, but that team will also host its own games here in Savannah. Oh, and the stadium here will have 1000 more seats, though I don't know where. Oh, and there will be a new team here, the Savannah Firefighters. I guess they really are trying to get their version of baseball to as many fans as possible.
 
"Still for $25? Still all you can eat?"
 
Well, the price has gone up 40%. Tickets are going to be $35 each, but still AYCE. I wonder if they're going to guarantee a seat with each ticket? And how is parking going to work?

"And you're planning to go?"

Nope. I've told Tony and Laura that they can buy the 5-game package off me. I mostly watched this tonight to let them know how the deal is working. I've let them know that I can buy extra seats, too, but they'll have to tell me specific games when that window opens for me. I think that will be in February. I don't know, that's when the first games are, so maybe the window will be earlier? Who knows. I've warned them to get there early, too, for the games, like two hours early, at least. They still want to go. Good for them. I know that Noah really gets a kick out of it.

"I just have to wonder how long this craze will last."

Me, too. It was good to see a real baseball game this summer. I miss those here.

No comments: