Monday, October 23, 2023

so, why did i touch poison ivy again?


Hey, I was wearing gloves, long sleeves, long pants, and socks with good shoes.
All it took was some evil poison ivy sap to seep through the cloth glove onto the index finger of my right hand.
That's all it took.

That clear fluid must be akin to silver nitrate solution.
That's a clear liquid, too, but once it touches flesh it leaves a black mark that has to wear away as the skin cells age and fall off.
That takes about a week.
No itchiness, no welts, no oozing, just a mark to say "Gotcha!"
If only poison ivy worked that same way.
But, no.

Where that liquid struck raises up in a red blister that itches madly, encouraging it to be scratched and the liquid spread to other areas.
My skin doesn't even require that anymore.
Welts come up from under skin far removed from the initial site, welts that become oozing blisters that wake me up from scratching.
It's truly hell.

My skin has become so sensitive that anything that touches it can raise a welt.
I've had to go through my closet to find the softest shirts I own.
Just the seam around a collar can set my collarbone area to itching madly.
I've taken photos and sent them to my dermatologist.
I have an appointment with Doc Brown on Thursday, so he can see in person.
Hard to believe it was only August when I went through this before.
As I have told my brothers, I just may have to sell my house.
I truly cannot keep going through this.

No comments: