Saturday, October 28, 2023

happy halloween, dawn and koz!

I had very nearly not gone, I was so tired.
Still, I felt the need to be there, especially after helping set it up for two weekends.
So, I threw myself out of my house and went to Georgetown.
Good move!
I ran into Susan there in the front yard and we both talked about the new ghouls and clowns.
I especially liked the flasher - see him? about center of the photo?
He is surely new.
I would have remembered putting batteries in him.
Later, I sat on the porch in a rocking chair.
I was having a respite from the crowd and, somehow, amid the cacophony of witches cackling and ghouls shrieking, it was quite peaceful.
Odd, right?
And I was able to people watch.
It was fun to see the kids playing up there by the pirates, pushing the button and getting squirted before they could scoot back a safe distance!
Then there were the kids - and adults - keeping out of reach of the crazy clowns on the right.
In front of the porch was a graveyard with a mummy that kept doing sit-ups from his coffin - lol!
Ame then there were all the skeletons - the bony motorcycle rider, the extra-tall flag waver, the skeleton Bulldog biting the butt of the Gator hanging from the tree - very funny!
I made sure to take a photo of that display for my brothers, as I knew that game was top of their list!
Apparently, it was for folks at the BYOP, too.
The Koz had a TV on, in the yard, with the football game on, so I was able to see that Georgia beat Florida.
Mostly, though, I ignored that and concentrated on all else.
Like this food!!!
Kenny, the man who cooks ribs and chicken for this party, had ventured out into low country boil this time!
What a special treat!
Plus, there were all these sweet treats!
Nice to see that basket, on the right, with all of those pumpkin-headed scarecrows I helped make!
I even took some of those home with me.
And there with lollipops in ghost shrouds, lollipops with spiders legs, lollipops shaped like witches and ghosts and Frankenstein's monsters!
I took some of those, too, to enjoy later!
But the Rice Krispies pumpkins?
The clementines dressed like pumpkins?
The green frosted pretzel rod fingers?
Those were enjoyed right there and then!
And that witches' cauldron actually held a very delightful cake under all that ganache frosting!
Dawn does such a great job with this welcoming table every year, and this was her 13th, each one better than the one before!
Speaking of her, here she is with her hubster.
It was time for her and The Koz to judge the pumpkins and award prizes to the winners.
Ah, but one prize was a booby prize, right?
The person judged as having "most room for improvement" would see their carved pumpkin get blown up!!!
As it happened, that was the same person who "won" that category last year and she was thrilled to have done so again!
Two others volunteered their creations for that dubious honor, giving Chris three to blast to pieces.
Such great fun!!!
First, the sparklers were set off, then...
boom!
Boom!!
BOOM!!!
Poor Della didn't much care for it, but the rest of us clapped and cheered!
Some of the pumpkin shards even made it as far away as we were, near the back porch!
Oh, yes, the official end of the BYOP!
Time for folks to start heading home.
A lot of them were neighbors, so it was just a matter of walking back to somewhere on the block.
Several attendees had flown in - Elaine from Chicago, Lorelei from California, a few others - and they were all staying over for the brunch tomorrow.
Not me.
I stayed and visited for a few moments longer, then bid my adieus and headed for my fishface.
Now, I'm home again, loot in hand, ready for an early bedtime.
First, though, a call to the West Coast.
It's Cathy's bday63!
Hooray!!!

No comments: