Thursday, October 26, 2023

working on the deck

I made sure I slathered up in sunscreen first, of course.
The deck's in the back yard and it gets sun all morning, until mid-afternoon.
See the front edge of the photo, with the clean boards?
My task was to remove all the sticker vines, all the poison ivy, all the dead leaves, pine cones and seashells.
Those seashells from Panama had entertained the girls while Christina had a last visit with her Papa.
 
It took me almost two hours to clear it.
Hard to believe that's the same deck.
I almost filled a new yard debris bag with all the vines and such, using weeds bordering the deck to help tamp everything down.
I even trimmed the misplaced box hedge and the scrub oak at the corner.
Those limbs will be hauled to the front yard, but not today.
I'd already spent over an hour scraping the little "gecko footprints" left by the poison ivy on the siding while I waited by the sun to leave the deck.
Oh, and notice anything else?
I cleared off those five concrete blocks, too.
Remember them?
When the SeeSAW muralcle on Habersham was to be demolished in 2014, I'd picked up those blocks, thinking I'd do something decorative with them.
Yeah, that never happened.
Somehow, the creative spark just didn't come around.
I did place two of them to the side of the deck some years back, to serve as a step.
Those other five just hung fire, as it were.
That's okay.
I look forward to being able to dine on the deck again, before the cold weather comes.
I miss having dinner out there in the evening breeze.
I do hope my brothers will put the new deck on this weekend.
They'll be here Saturday morning, both of them.
I haven't told them about the twins birthday9 party, but maybe Smitty and Tony won't need me for all the work with the fascia and deck?
We'll see.
Fingers crossed that I get to see the girls!
Now, for a nice long shower...

No comments: