Monday, October 9, 2023

tomochichi was creek, too

"That fellow who was helpful to James Oglethorpe when he came to Savannah?"
 
Yes, that "fellow", as you put it. Tomochichi was a highly revered Indian around here.
 
"Hold up, you can't used that term. It's "Native American", remember?"
 
Well, you know, that's what I thought, too. But I went to an event at the Tybee Post Theater tonight for Indigenous Peoples' Day and learned differently. 

"Do tell."

Okay, don't mind if I do! It was called "The Origin of Pow Wow" and was hosted by Laura Moonwoman. See where I'm going with this? She had the Southern Fire Drum group up here from Tallahassee. I went because my genealogy studies have proved that Grandpa was right and we do have Creek blood in our veins. Though, truth to tell, I think he may have said we had Cherokee ancestors.

"Well, that's pretty cool! I wonder why that didn't show up in your DNA results?"

My Heritage has changed those, by the way, and I've got more of a mix than originally determined. I don't know if that's because of the results of Michael's DNA test in conjunction with mine, or if their diagnostics have improved...

"Off track and headed for the woods, dear. Back to the event tonight, please."

Sure thing! So, I was speaking with her beforehand about the term "Native Americans" and she said that she, as well as others she knows, actually prefer the term "Indians". How about that? It's like the whole thing with the terms "African American" and "Black" - it's a matter of personal preference. So, I find it best to just ask what group name someone chooses.

"That makes sense. Sam Johnson was the one who cleared the air on that."


Yes, he was. Anyway, as I said, I was talking to Laura beforehand and mentioned I have Creek blood on my mother's father's side. That's when she reminded me that Tomochichi was of Creek blood, too. We might be related somewhere back in time! However, my search didn't even reveal the names of the parents of Nancy, the Creek woman who wed one of Grandpa's ancestors, way back when.

"Hmm. So you were there tonight because of your heritage?"


Yeah, pretty much, but also because the event was free. That's a real draw for me lately. I was also curious about Pow Wows, as I hadn't realized those were ongoing. Not only do they still exist, but there's one going on somewhere in the States almost every week. One of the good things about tonight's talk was finding out the rules involved. You see, everyone of every ilk is welcome at a Pow Wow, but there are certain behaviors to follow. Take picture-taking, for instance. You are to ask permission, not just take someone's photo. However, for the dances, you can take photos of groups of people, but not just one person. That's why I made sure these photos have more than one person on the stage.

"Very nice to know! And just what is going on in these photos?"

Well, like I said earlier, the group performing was called the Southern Fire Drum and consists of Marcellus Ford and his family. Marcellus is the man in the foreground in the second photo, and he served as emcee as well as performer. He did the Prairie Chicken dance, strutting and preening and making the bells on his shoes jingle jangle more than usual. Very cool! He's also playing the drum in the third photo while his wife performs the Shawl Dance. I very much enjoyed that one! And after the talk was done, I was able to hold part of her shawl and it was quite heavy! She has it beaded on both sides, top and bottom, so her arms get quite a workout when she's twirling it around!

"How good of her to let you touch her regalia. I wonder how long it took to make it?"

Oh, good question! I didn't think of that one. She also did the Traditional Women's Dance earlier in the show. And that other fellow on the stage in the second pic did the Lame Man Dance, which was rather humorous. It was about a drunk who thought he was a real ladies' man and ended up crippled from his pride. Oh, and guess what?

"What?"

I got to dance with them!!! They highly revere American military and veterans and we were told that when an invitation was offered to those folks, the only polite thing was to get up and join them. So, when Marcellus said they were going into the Victory Dance and invited any active duty or veterans to come on stage, I was right behind Laura Moonwoman! She was a Marine Corp veteran. All told there were five of us veterans up there. Everyone in the Southern Fire Drum group shook our hands, then we all danced, then they shook our hands and thanked us again. Even the two little children did! It was truly quite an honor.

"Well, that sounds like a marvelous experience! And to think that it was all free!"

I thank fb for letting me know about it.
i thank You, God, for the dancing!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Oh, I forgot to mention something important!
When I drove home from Tybee, along that dark patch of highway leading to Savannah, I COULD SEE THE EDGES OF THE ROAD.
Moreover, I COULD SEE QUITE FAR IN FRONT OF ME.
I cannot say when the last time that was.
Thanks, Cerakote, for giving my Saturn bright eyes again!
Thanks, Jackie, for telling me about that product!