Thursday, October 5, 2023

the monarchs are here!

It's rather a bittersweet moment for me while I watch these butterflies as they flit from one brightly hued lantana flower cluster to another.

For one thing, their stopover at this latitude as they head to Mexico heralds the coming of cooler temperatures.

In years past, that wouldn't have mattered much to me, but now, since my heart has atrial fibrillation, the orange-and-black patterned flyers let me know that my attendance at night events will soon be accompanied by a check on the weather.

The night temperatures are dipping into the 50's starting tomorrow, and days will be struggling to reach the low 70's all this weekend.

That's okay, as most of my plans are during the day.

Warmer weather will be arriving on Monday, with the weather song tra-la-la'ing back to the same low 80's to mid 60's of this week.

Here's another bittersweet thought about these long-distance travelers: these are not the same ones that flew north.

These were born and raised around milkweed and other nourishing plants for the caterpillars they were until recently.

They never knew the last generation, never knew of the path their ancestors took or the perils they encountered along their flight.

That makes it all the more wondrous that this group of newcomers should even be aware that they have a distant home in Central America, one that will shelter them from winter's bitter winds.

What homing beacon are they born with?

How is it that these small, fragile animals are so evolved?

Ah, these thoughts are too heavy right now.

Better that I should enjoy the sun and shadows...

and these hopeful creatures, sipping nectar for their journey.

1 comment:

faustina said...

I'm so glad the lantana rallied about six weeks ago.
Last year, it had been the oleander that had been under attack.
This time around, it was the lantana, as evidenced by a brittleness and white cast to its leaves, with no blooms in the spring.
I knew the monarchs would be coming and I was quite concerned that they would have to seek food elsewhere.
But then the lantana came forth with new leaves, green and soft, as well as the tiny flower clusters.
i thank You, God.