Thursday, October 19, 2023

last finishing touches at Greenwich

Here's the final result.
 
I placed fresh daisies - the permanent variety - to both sides of the family marker, daisies purchased yesterday while doing laundry.
 
The little witch was a gift to Mama from someone else in the family.
 
The photo may look a little off-kilter, but I wanted to make sure to include George this time.
 
 
In 2013, I had six deaths of family and friends that began in August, but October is when the loss is most present to me.
This was my third trip to the cemetery this week.
 
The first time was Sunday.
Asbury Memorial had the Celebration of Life of Mary Pulwarty, mother of actress Faith Boles, who I'd had the pleasure of seeing in action in Pigeon Forge, back in 2010.
Mary had time to plan her celebration before pancreatic cancer took her, and part of that plan was the reading of "letters to mother" by her two daughters and granddaughter.
All I could think of was my Mama as I sat and wept and listened to their loss, reliving my own.
 
So I didn't stay for the reception, just taking a butterfly brooch and heading off to see Mama.
I'd meant to go out there a few weeks ago.
 
I had finally moved the headstone cleaner from the table by the door to the car.
 
I'd bought it months ago, in hopes of removing the black discoloration of Mama's marker.
 
I had tried soap and water, but to no avail.
 
So this was the day.
 
I sprayed the solution liberally all over the granite, then let it soak for a minute, per directions.
 
No rinsing of the sudsy liquid; the stone was to be wiped with a dry cloth.
I was amazed at how much of the black was removed, but it still needed more work.
So, I repeated the procedure a second time
 
Monday, I returned to add more cleaner and scrub a little, then I rinsed it all thoroughly.
 
Wet, it still looked pretty bad.
 
Today, I returned to see how it had dried... and was quite satisfied with the results!
 
All of the engraving can now be read, clearly, cleanly.
 
That does my heart good.
(smile!)

No comments: